This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 20 article 940 pages: 358-364
Aim of this present research work is to obtain the machining parameters to optimize the tool life and surface roughness for ferrite-bainite dual phase steel. Machinability tests are carried out using orthogonal array of 27, the Taguchi method, in which the machining parameters are considered as control factors. The effect of speed, feed and depth of cut on tool life and surface roughness of dual phase structure steel is analysed using ANOVA. Regression analysis is used to obtain the equations for predicting the tool life and surface roughness. Experiment is conducted using uncoated carbide insert tool by varying the process parameters. Optimum tool life and surface is analysed using Response Surface Methodology. Hardness and microstructure revealed the dual phase condition in different intercritical zones. It is found that hardness improves as the intercritical temperature is increased from 750 to 770°C. Experimental results prove that dual phase structure has better machining characteristics at an intercritical temperature of 750°C.
1. Lalbondre, R., Krishna. P, Mohankumar, G. C. (2014). An experimental investigation on machinability studies of steels by face turning. Procedia materials science, vol.6, 1386-1395. doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2013.09.138
2. Chandrasekaran H. and R. M’Saoubi (2006). Improved machinability in hard milling and strategies for steel development, CIRP Annals, vol. 55, no.1, 93-96. doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)60374-6
3. Songmene V., Khettabi, R. and Kouam, J., (2012). Dry High-Speed Machining: A Cost Effective & Green Process, Int. J. Manufacturing Research (IJMR), vol.7, no.3, 229-256, 10.1504/IJMR.2012.048695
4. Hegde A, Sharma, S, (2018). Machinability study of manganese alloyed austempered ductile iron. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, vol. 40, 338. doi.org/10.1007/s40430-018-1258-6
5. Yellowley, I., Lai, C. T. (1993). The use of force ratios in the tracking of tool wear in turning. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, vol. 115, no.3, 370-372, doi.org/10.1115/1.2901676
6. Hegde A, Sharma, S, (2018)). Comparison of machinability of manganese alloyed austempered ductile iron produced using conventional and two step austempering processes. Materials Research Express, vo. 5, no.5, 056519, doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/aac254
7. Boubekri, N., Rodriguez, J., Asfour, S. (2003). Development of an aggregate indicator to assess the machinability of steels. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 134(2), 159-165, 10.1016/S0924-0136(02)00446-6
8. N. R. Dhar, S. Paul, A. B. Chattopadhyay (2002). Machining of AISI 4140 steel under cryogenic cooling - Tool wear, surface roughness and dimensional deviation. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 123, no.3, 483-489. doi: 10.1016/S0924-0136(02)00134-6.
9. I. Asiltürk and H. Akkuş (2011). Determining the effect of cutting parameters on surface roughness in hard turning using the Taguchi method. Measurement, vol. 44, no.9, 1697-1704, doi: 10.1016/j.measurement..07.003.
10. P. L. Anand, S.Shivade, Shivraj Bhagat, Suraj Jagdale, Amit Nikam (2014). Optimization of machining parameters for turning using taguchi approach. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, vol. 3, no.1, 145-149 , doi: 10.13140/2.1.1515.6801
11. ISO 3685 (1993), “Standard for tool life testing with single point turning tools,”
12. ISO 4287 (1997), “Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS) -- Surface texture: Profile method -- Terms, definitions and surface texture parameters,” Int. Organ. Stand.
13. Gurumurthy, B.M., Gowrishankar, M.C., Sharma, S.,Shettar, M., Hiremath, P. (2020). Microstructure authentication on mechanical property of medium carbon Low alloy duplex steels. Journal of Materials Research and Technology, vol.9, no.3, S105–S111, doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2020.03.027.
14. M. Nalbant, H. Gökkaya, and G. Sur (2007). Application of Taguchi method in the optimization of cutting parameters for surface roughness in turning. Materials & Design, vol. 28, no.4, 1379-1385. doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2006.01.008.
15. K. K. Alaneme, O. J. Adejumo, and J. O. Borode (2013). Influence of different cyclic intercritical heat-treatment schedules on the microstructure and mechanical behaviour of a dual phase medium carbon low alloy steel. Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, vol. 19, no. 2, 155-166.