This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 20 article 963 pages: 571-581
In the current paper, the effect of carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) laminates on the flexural strength of reinforced concrete beam (RCB) with the web opening in the flexural zone was investigated using a numerical method. The main aim of the current work is to model the reinforced concrete beam strengthen by two shape of CFRP laminates (2- layer and U-shape), to observe the influences of CFRP on the flexural strength of the beam. To this end, cyclic loading was applied to investigate the flexural behaviour of the Twelve RC beams under the cyclic loading. All beams kept the same dimensions length, breadth, and depth (2400 × 300 × 200) mm were modeled in the finite elements adopted by ABAQUS software. Steel bars have been used for both flexural strengthening and stirrups. A Three-point bending tests were performed using cyclic loading. Furthermore, the effect of web openings with different sizes (Side length of 40, 60, 75% of the breadth) on the flexural behavior of RC beams was investigated in detail. The flexural strength, local analysis, and ductility of the base beam and CFRP reinforced beam were analyzed. The results of the simulations revealed that the CFRP laminates enhanced the strength of the base beam significantly.
The authors would like to thank Mustansiriyah University (www.uomustansiriyah.edu.iq) Baghdad-Iraq for its support in the present work
1. Mansur, M. (2006). Design of reinforced concrete beams with web openings. Proceedings of the 6th Asia-Pacific structural engineering and construction conference (ASPEC 2006), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 5–6 September 2006. P.104–120.
2. Mansur, M.A. (1998). Effect of openings on the behavior and strength of R/C beams in shear. Cement and Concrete Composites, Elsevier Science Ltd., Vol. 20, No.6, 477-486, Doi:10.1016/S0958-9465(98)00030-4
3. Mitali, R. P., and Gajjar, R. K. (2012). Shear Strengthening of RC Beams using CFRP. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, Vol. 3, No. 1, PP. 338-342.
4. Abdulrahman MB, Al-Jaberi LA, Hasan SS. (2021). The Effect of Opening Size and Location on the Performance of Reinforced Concrete T-Beams under Pure Torque. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences, 28 (1), 46- 53.
5. Ahmed, A., Fayyadh, M. M., Naganathan, S., & Nasharuddin, K. (2012). Reinforced concrete beams with web openings: A state of the art review. Materials & Design, 40, 90-102.
6. Aykac, B., Kalkan, I., Aykac, S., & Egriboz, Y. E. (2013). Flexural behavior of RC beams with regular square or circular web openings. Engineering Structures, 56, 2165-2174.
7. Yang, K. H., Eun, H. C., & Chung, H. S. (2006). The influence of web openings on the structural behavior of reinforced high-strength concrete deep beams. Engineering Structures, 28(13), 1825-1834.
8. Yoo, T. M. (2011). Strength and behaviour of high strength concrete deep beam with web openings. Nathan: Griffith University.
9. Chin, S. C., N. Shafiq and M. F. Nuruddin. (2015). FRP as strengthening material for Reinforced Concrete beams with openings:A review. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering 19(1): 213-219.
10. Djeddi, F., Y. Ghernouti, Y. Abdelaziz and L. Alex. (2016). Strengthening in flexure–shear of RC beams with hybrid FRP systems: Experiments and numerical modeling. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 35(22): 1642-1660.
11. Osman, B. H., Wu, E., Ji, B., & Abdelgader, A. M. (2016). A state of the art review on reinforced concrete beams with openings retrofitted with FRP. International Journal of Advanced Structural Engineering, 8(3), 253-267.
12. Uji, K. (1992). Improving shear capacity of existing reinforced concrete members by applying carbon fiber sheets. Transactions of the Japan Concrete Institute 14.
13. Malek, A. M. (1998). Ultimate shear capacity of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with web-bonded fiber-reinforced plastic plates. ACI Structural Journal 95(4): 391-399.
14. Triantafillou, T. C. (1998). Shear strengthening of reinforced concrete beams using epoxy-bonded FRP composites. ACI structural journal 95: 107-115.
15. Bernaert, S. and C. P. Siess (1956). Strength in Shear of Reinforced Concrete Beams under Uniform Load, University of Illinois Engineering Experiment Station.
16. Elgabbas, F., Ahmed, E. A., & Benmokrane, B. (2017). Flexural behavior of concrete beams reinforced with ribbed basalt-FRP bars under static loads. Journal of Composites for Construction, 21(3), 04016098.
17. ACI 318-14 . (2014). Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-14) American Concrete Institute; Farmington Hills, MI, USA: 2014. p. 524.
18. Rabinovitch, O. and Y. Frostig. (2003). Experiments and analytical comparison of RC beams strengthened with CFRP composites. Composites part B: engineering 34(8): 663-677.
19. Akbarzadeh, H. and A. Maghsoudi. (2010). Experimental and analytical investigation of reinforced high strength concrete continuous beams strengthened with fiber reinforced polymer. Materials & Design 31(3): 1130-1147.
20. Hawileh, R. A., T. A. El-Maaddawy and M. Z. Naser. (2012). Nonlinear finite element modeling of concrete deep beams with openings strengthened with externally-bonded composites. Materials & Design 42: 378-387.
21. Al-Tersawy, S. H. (2013). Effect of fiber parameters and concrete strength on shear behavior of strengthened RC beams. Construction and Building Materials 44: 15-24.
22. Sonnenschein, R., K. Gajdosova and I. Holly. (2016). FRP Composites and their Using in the Construction of Bridges. Procedia Engineering 161: 477-482.
23. De Lorenzis, L. and A. Nanni (2001). "Shear Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Beams with Near-Surface Mounted Fibre Reinforced Polymer." ACI Structural Journal 98.
24. ABAQUS, U. s. M. and C. U. s. Manual. (2012). Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp. Providence, RI, USA 6(1). A.S.U.s.
25. Manual, Abaqus 6.11, http://130.149 89(2080) (2012) v6.
26. Lee, J., & Fenves, G. L. (1998). Plastic-damage model for cyclic loading of concrete structures. Journal of engineering mechanics, 124(8), 892-900.
27. S. Bahij, S.K. Adekunle, M. Al-Osta, S. Ahmad, S.U. Al-Dulaijan, M.K. Rahman. (2018). Numerical investigation of the shear behavior of reinforced ultra-high-performance concrete beams. Structural Concrete 19(1) , 305-317.
28. Saqan, E. I., H. A. Rasheed and R. A. Hawileh. (2013). An efficient design procedure for flexural strengthening of RC beams based on ACI 440.2 R-08. Composites Part B: Engineering 49: 71-79.
29. ACI Committee 440.1R. (2006). Guide for the Design and Construction of Structural Concrete Reinforced with FRP Bars, ACI Manual of Concrete Practice, American Concrete Institute, Farming Hills, USA.
30. ACI Committee 440.2R. (2008). Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures, American Concrete Institute, Detroit, USA.
31. M. Barbato. (2009). Efficient finite element modelling of reinforced concrete beams retrofitted with fibre reinforced polymers. Computers & Structures 87(3-4), 167-176.