This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
The relevance of the work is due to the need for experimental studies to determine the mechanical characteristics
of epoxy resin samples, which can be used to check the correctness of the choice of parameters and criteria for the
onset of crack growth within the framework of elastic fracture mechanics, cohesive models, models such as virtual
crack closure technique, extended finite element method, etc. Thus, the article is aimed at determining the parameters
of fracture toughness of samples of brittle epoxy resin with applied eccentric cracks. The leading method for the
study of this problem is the experimental method, which makes it possible to determine the critical stress intensity
factor for three-point bending of samples with an edge crack, as well as to study samples with an eccentric (relative to
the center of the sample) location of cracks. The paper presents the results of experimental studies to determine the
critical stress intensity factors for samples of brittle epoxy resin L285 with hardener H 285 (Hexion), obtained without
the addition of a plasticizer. The results of testing samples with asymmetric cracks are compared with the results of
numerical modeling within the framework of elastic fracture mechanics with the energy fracture criterion. The materials
of the article are of practical value, first of all, for the calibration of fracture mechanics models.
This work was supported by the RFBR grant 18-31-
1. Allen, R.J., Booth, G.S., Jutla, T. (1988). A review of fatigue crack growth characterisation by linear elastic fracture mechanics (LEFM). Part I – principles and methods of data generation. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, vol. 11, no. 1, 45-69.
2. Rege, K., Lemu, H.G. (2017). A review of fatigue crack propagation modelling techniques using FEM and XFEM. Proceedings of the IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 276, no. 1, 012027.
3. Heidari-Rarani, M., Sayedain, M. (2019). Finite ele¬ment modeling strategies for 2D and 3D delamination propagation in composite DCB specimens using VCCT, CZM and XFEM approaches. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, vol. 103, no. 102246.
4. Godwin, A.D. (2017). Plasticizers. William Andrew Publishing, Norwich.
5. Nemati Giv, A., Ayatollahi, M.R., Ghaffari, S.H., da Silva, L.F.M. (2018). Effect of reinforcements at different scales on mechanical properties of epoxy adhesives and adhesive joints. The Journal of Adhesion, vol. 94, no. 13, 1082-1121.
6. Pereira, S.A.G., Tavares, S.M., de Castro, P.M. (2019). Mixed mode fracture: Numerical evaluation and experimental validation using PMMA specimens. Frattura ed Integrita Strutturale, vol. 13, no. 49, 412-428.
7. Bulychev, N.A., Rabinskiy, L.N. (2019). Surface modification of titanium dioxide nanoparticles with acrylic acid/isobutylene copolymer under ultrasonic treatment. Periodico Tche Quimica, vol. 16, no. 32, 338-344.
8. Kuznetsova, E.L., Rabinskiy, L.N. (2019). Numerical modeling and software for determining the static and linkage parameters of growing bodies in the process of non-stationary additive heat and mass transfer. Periodico Tche Quimica, vol. 16, no. 33, 472-479.
9. Skvortsov, A.A., Pshonkin, D.E., Luk'yanov, M.N. (2018). Influence of constant magnetic fields on defect formation under conditions of heat shock in surface layers of silicon. Key Engineering Materials, vol. 771, 124-129.
10. Skvortsov, A.A., Zuev, S.M., Koryachko, M.V. (2018). Contact melting of aluminum-silicon structures under conditions of thermal shock. Key Engineering Materials, vol. 771, 118-123.
11. Formalev, V.F., Kolesnik, S.A., Kuznetsova, E.L., Rabinskiy, L.N. (2019). Origination and propagation of temperature solitons with wave heat transfer in the bounded area during additive technological process¬es. Periodico Tche Quimica, vol. 16, no. 33, 505-515.
12. Blinov, D.G., Prokopov, V.G., Sherenkovskii, Yu.V., Fialko, N.M., Yurchuk, V.L. (2002). Simulation of natural convection problems based on low-dimensional model. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 29, no. 6, 741-747.
13. Talismanov, V.S., Popkov, S.V., Alekseenko, A.L., Zykova, S.S., Karmanova, O.G. (2019). Synthesis of O-[2-(1H-1,2,4-triazol-1- yl)ethyl]phenylthiocarbamate and O-[2-(1Himidazol- 1-yl)ethyl]phenylthiocarbamate with fungicidal activity. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 11, no. 3, 1237-1240.
14. Babaytsev, A.V., Kuznetsova, E.L., Rabinskiy, L.N., Tushavina, O.V. (2020). Investigation of permanent strains in nanomodified composites after molding at elevated temperatures. Periodico Tche Quimica, vol. 17, no. 34, 1055-1067.
15. Kurbatov, A.S., Orekhov, A.A., Rabinskiy, L.N., Tushavina, O.V., Kuznetsova, E.L. (2020). Research of the problem of loss of stability of cylindrical thin¬walled structures under intense local temperature exposure. Periodico Tche Quimica, vol. 17, no. 34, 884-891.
16. Rabinskiy, L.N., Tushavina, O.V. (2019). Investigation of an elastic curvilinear cylindrical shell in the shape of a parabolic cylinder, taking into account thermal effects during laser sintering. Asia Life Sci¬ences, vol. 2, 977-991.
17. Nadirov, R., Syzdykova, L., Zhussupova, A. (2017). Copper smelter slag treatment by ammonia solution: Leaching process optimization. Journal of Central South University, vol. 24, no. 12, 2799-2804.
18. Antufev, B.A., Kuznetsova, E.L., Rabinskiy, L.N., Tushavina, O.V. (2019). Investigation of a complex stress-strain state of a cylindrical shell with a dynamically collapsing internal elastic base under the influence of temperature fields of various physical nature. Asia Life Sciences, vol. 2, 689-696.
19. Rabinskiy, L.N., Tushavina, O.V. (2019). Problems of land reclamation and heat protection of biological objects against contamination by the aviation and rocket launch site. Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism, vol. 10, no. 5, 967-973.
20. Zhu, C.L., Li, J.B., Lin, G., Zhong, H. (2010). Study on the relationship between stress intensity factor and J integral for mixed mode crack with arbitrary inclination based on SBFEM. Proceedings of the IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 10, no. 1, 012066.
21. Rodriguez, J., Salazar, A., Gomez, F.J., Patel, Y., Williams, J.G. (2015). Fracture of notched samples in epoxy resin: Experiments and cohesive model. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 149, 402-411.
22. Salazar, A., Patel, Y., Williams, J.G. (2013). Influence of crack sharpness on the fracture toughness of epoxy resins. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Fracture, vol. 5, 4057-4066.
23. Otarbaev, N.Sh., Kapustin, V.M., Nadirov, K.S., Bimbetova, G.Zh., Zhantasov, M.K., Nadirov, R.K. (2019). New potential demulsifiers obtained by processing gossypol resin. Indonesian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 4, 959-966.