PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT BASED ON INTELLIGENT POWER MANAGEMENT FOR STANDALONE PV SYSTEM IN REMOTE AREA OF IBADAN, NIGERIA
To every system there is a boundary to its procedure, thus, a system operating at higher than its operating limit
will decrease its lifespan and that can contribute to failure of the arrangement. This leads us to assessments and
calculations of standalone PV- system component based on the fi eld assessment and performances in an area in
Ibadan, Nigeria. Using relevant formulae to calculate the requirement of each element that makes up the stand-alone
PV-system.The battery as an essential component of the microgrid, battery life depends on both depth and rate of
discharge.The resolutions of this report refl ect the abused of components involves in the initiation of the system especially
the battery. The paper suggested an intelligent system to take care of the excess loads at a particular time,
which alsowill take into account priority of the appliances at the time in relation to the capacity and state of the battery
to control the appliances.
1. Saka, A. B., Olawumi, T. O. & Omoboye, A. J., ‘Solar Photovoltaic System: A Case Study of Akure, Nigeria’, World Scientifi c News, 2017.
2. Tomonobu S, Toshiaki N, Katsumi U, and T. F, ‘A hybrid power system using alternative energy facilities in isolated island’, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 406–414, 2005.
3. Patra, S., Kishor, N., Mohanty, S. R., & Ray, P. K, ‘Power quality assessment in 3-Φ grid connected PV system with single and dual stage circuits’, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 75, pp. 275–288, 2016.
4. Parlak, K., ‘PV array reconfiguration method under partial shading conditions’, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 63, pp. 713–721, 2014.
5. David C C F, Marcos B K, Marcos R A M, and Antonio M N L, ‘Lifetime estimation technique for lead-acid batteries’, IECON Proceedings (Industrial Electronics Conference), pp. 2076–2081, 2016.
6. Leadbetter, J., & Swan, L. G., ‘Selection of battery technology to support grid-integrated renewable electricity’, Journal of Power Sources, vol. 216, pp. 376–386, Oct. 2012.
7. Bugaje, I. M., ‘Renewable energy for sustainable development in Africa: A review’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 603–612, 2006.
8. Safaai, N. S. M., Noor, Z. Z., Hashim, H., Ujang, Z., & Talib, J., ‘Projection of CO2 emissions in Malaysia’, Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 658–665, Dec. 2011.
9. Ford, R., ‘Reducing domestic energy consumption through behaviour modification’, 2009.
10. Mubdir, B.,Mubdir, B., Al-Hindawi, A., & Hadi, N.,‘Design of Smart Home Energy Management System for Saving Energy’, European Scientific Journal,vol. 12, no. 33, 2016.
11. Xiao, J., & Boutaba, R. (2013)., ‘The design and implementation of an energy-smart home in Korea’, Journal of Computing Science and Engineering, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 204–210, 2013.
12. Gomez, C., Magazine J., ‘WHAN A Survey of Architectures and Technologies’, IEEE Communications Magazine, pp. 92–110, 2010.
13. Maharjan, S., Zhu, Q., & Zhang, Y., ‘Demand Response Management in the Smart Grid in a Large Population Regime’, Smart Grid, IEEE, vol. 7, no. 1,pp. 189–199, 2016.
14. Gesing F., ‘The new Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy and the politics of municipal climate data’, Zentra working papers in transnational studies, no. No.71/2017, 2017.
15. Wei, T., Kim, T., Park, S., Zhu, Q., Tan, S. X.-D., Chang, N., … Maasoumy, M., ‘Battery Management and Application for Energy-Effi client Buildings’, in Proceedings of the The 51st Annual Design Automation Conference on Design Automation Conference - DAC ’14, 2014, pp. 1–6.
16. Sangwongwanich, A., Yang, Y., Sera, D., Blaabjerg, F., & Zhou, D., ‘On the Impacts of PV Array Sizing on the Inverter Reliability and Lifetime’, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 2018.
17. Chaurey, A. and Deambi, S., ‘BATTERY STORAGE FOR PV POWER SYSTEMS : AN OVERVIEW’, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 227–235, 1992.
18. Mustapha, I., Dikwa, M. ., Musa, B. ., & AbbaganaM. (2013)., ‘Performance Evaluation of Polycrystalline Solar Photovoltaic Module in Wheather Conditions of Maiduguri, Nigeria’, Arid Zone Journal of Engineering, technology and Environment, vol. 9, pp. 69–81.
19. Ohunakin, O. S., Adaramola, M. S., Oyewola, O. M., & Fagbenle, R. O., ‘Solar energy applications and development in Nigeria: Drivers and barriers’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 32, pp. 294–301, 2014.
20. Chineke, T. C., ‘Equations for estimating global solar radiation in data sparse regions’, Renewable Energy, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 827–831, Apr. 2008.
21. Kazem, H. A., Khatib, T., & Sopian, K., ‘Sizing of astandalone photovoltaic/battery system at minimum cost for remote housing electrifi cation in Sohar, Oman’, Energy and building, vol. 61, pp. 108–115, 2013.
22. Kaldellis, J. K., Zafi rakis, D., & Kondili, E., ‘Optimum sizing of photovoltaic-energy storage systems for autonomous small islands’, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 24–36, 2010.
23. Ibrahim I., Khatib T., Muhamad A., ‘Impact of Battery’s Model Accuracy on Size Optimization Process of a Standalone Photovoltaic System’, Sustainability. p. 8(9), 894;, 2016.