EFFECT OF DYNAMIC LOADS ON THE COMPRESSIBILITY BEHAVIOR OF PEAT SOIL REINFORCED BY BAMBOO GRIDS
This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
terms and conditions.
Volume 17 article 590 pages: 157 - 162
The compression behavior of peat was investigated by a program of static and dynamic load testing. The comprehensive model tests were conducted in the laboratory to evaluate the effect of loading sequences on the behavior of peat soil. The result test indicated that compression behavior of peat soil was significantly influenced by loading sequences and reinforcement of bamboo grids. The compression behavior after the dynamic load appears smaller than before the dynamic load. Reinforcement of bamboo grids can reduce the compressibility of peat soil, especially for one layer and two layers of bamboo grid, while for three layers of bamboo grid resulted in similar settlement for two layers of bamboo grid on the pressure above 9 kPa.
The authors would like to thank the Directorate of Research and Community Service - Directorate General of Research and Development Strengthening - Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education of the Republic of Indonesia for supporting this research.
- Kramer, S. L. (2000). Dynamic response of mercer slough peat, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 126(6), 504-510.
- Meyer, Z., Coufal, R., Kowalow, M.,&Szcygielski, T.(2011). Peat consolidation – new approach. Archives of Civil Engineering,57(2), 173-186.
- Kallioglou, P., Tika, T., Koninis, G.,Papadopoulos, S., &Pitilakis, K. (2009). Shear modulus and damping ratio of organic soils. Geotech Geol Eng, 27(2),217–235.
- Waruwu, A., Hardiyatmo, H. C.,&Rifa’i, A. (2017). Defl ection behavior of the nailed slab system-supported embankment on peat soil. Journal of Applied Engineering Science, 15(4), 556 - 563.
- Waruwu, A., Hardiyatmo, H. C., &Rifa’i, A. (2016). Compressive behavior of Bagansiapiapi-Riau peat in Indonesia.Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 21(16), 5217-5227.
- Crouse, C. B., Kramer, S. L., Mitchell, R., & Hushmand, B. (1993). Dynamic tests of pipe pile in saturated peat. J. Geotech. Eng, 119(10), 1550-1567.
- Moss, R. E. S., &Hollenback, J. C. (2011). Seismic response of peaty organic soils as a levee foundation material. Geo Frontiers, (pp. 3097-3106).
- Marto, A., & Othman, B.A.(2011). The potential use of bamboo as green material for soft clay reinforcement system. International Conference on Environment Science and Engineering, Singapore, (pp. 129-133).
- Kandolkar, S. S., & Mandal, J. N. (2012). Behaviour of mine waste as reinforced soil. International Journal of Reseach in Engineering and Technology, 1(2), 82-89.
- Hegde, A., & Sitharam, T. G. (2015). Use of bambooin soft-ground engineering and its performance comparison with geosynthetics: experimental studies. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 27(9)1-9.
- Waruwu, A. (2014). Bamboo reinforcement in shallow foundation on the peat soil. Journal of Civil Engineering Research, 4(3A), 96-102.
- Waruwu, A., &Susanti, R. D.(2015). Behavior of soil peat with reinforcement of bamboo grid.IOSR Journal of Engineering, 5(11), 29-36.
- Waruwu, A. Maulana, &Halim, H. (2017). Settlement estimation of peat reinforced with bamboo grid under embankment. International Review of Civil Engineering (I.RE.C.E.), 8(6), 299-306.
- Waruwu, A., Hardiyatmo, H. C., &Rifa’i, A. (2017). Behavior of nailed-slab system on peat soil under loading. Proceedings of the 1nd Warmadewa University International Conference on Architecture and Civil Engineering, Bali, Indonesia, (pp: 101-107).
- Susanti, R. D., Maulana, Waruwu, A. (2017). Bearing capacity improvement of peat soil by preloading. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 12(1), 121-124.
- Maulana, Azwar, Susanti, R. D., &Waruwu, A. (2018). Potential of bamboo pile as reinforcement of peat soil under embankment.ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 13(1), 52-56.
- Sinarta, I. N., Rifa’I, A., Fathani, T. F., & Wilopo, W. (2017). Slope stability assessment using trigger parametersand SINMAP methods on Tamblingan-BuyanAncient Mountain Area in Buleleng Regency, Bali. Geosciences, 7(4), 1-16.
- Waruwu, A., Halim, H., Nasution, T., & Hanova, Y., (2018). Bamboo Grid Reinforcement on Peat Soil under Repeated Loading. Journal of Engineeering and Applied Sciences, 13(8): 2190-2196