PROCESS IMPROVEMENT TO REDUCE WASTE IN THE BIGGEST INSTANT NOODLE MANUFACTURING COMPANY IN SOUTH EAST ASIA
This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
terms and conditions.
Volume 17 article 597 pages: 203 - 212
This research was conducted at the biggest instant noodle manufacturing company in South East Asia. In the process
of producing instant noodle, there is inability to reach the target number of production, this is due to quality factor and
waste in the use of raw material. Research uses lean six sigma method. In the define phase, the process of identification
of waste is carried out by making Value Stream Mapping (VSM) and Waste Assessment Model (WAM) to find out
the dominant waste. At the measure phase, the CTQ is decided and calculates the sigma level. In the analyze phase,
analysis is done by using Value Stream Analysis Tools (VALSAT),determining the type of dominant defect through
the Pareto diagram and knowing the causes of defects with fishbone diagram. In the improve phase, improvement is
made based on the highest Risk Priority Number (RPN) value that is known through the FMEA method. At the control
phase, the handle process is carried out so that repairs are carried out continuously. The research finds the highest
waste weight is due to defective products of 25.03%, sigma value of 4.75, and activities that gives value added (VA)
had the highest percentage of 71.31%. The conclusion of this research is the improvement recommendations that is
given to reduce the cause of failure of cutter of label machine cuts body label on the type of failure of the label sealer
cutting process is not suitable with standard. The improvement step is to close the distance up between the conveyor
and the conveyor table in the wrapping area This study aims to overview the ability of ventilated blades to improve
the performance of the Savonius rotor based on CFD simulation. Rotor performance is analyzed by static torque,
pressure profile, a airflow profile and vortex area.
- Gaspersz, V. & Fontana, A. (2017). Lean Six Sigma for Manufacturing and Service Industries. Bogor: Vinchristo Publication.
- Grzelczak, A.& Lewandowska, K. W. (2016). Eliminating Muda (Waste) in Lean Management by Working Time Standardization.Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review,6(3),1–11.
- Gupta, N. (2013). An Application of DMAIC Methodology for Increasing the Yarn Quality in Textile Industry. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 6(1), 50–65.
- Hassan, M. K. (2013). Applying Lean Six Sigma for Waste Reduction in a Manufacturing Environment. American Journal of Industrial Engineering, 1(2), 28–35.
- Hines, P. & Taylor, D. (2000).Going Lean. Cardiff: Lean Enterprise Research Centre.
- Indrawati, S. & Ridwansyah, M. (2015). Manufacturing Continuous Improvement Using Lean Six Sigma: An Iron Ores Industry Case Application.Procedia Manufacturing, 4, 528–534.
- Kabir, E., Boby, S. M. M. I. & Lutfi , M. (2013). Productivity Improvement by Using Six-Sigma.International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 3(12), 56–84.
- Kaid, H. et al. (2016). Six Sigma DMAIC Phases Application in Y Company: A Case Study.International Journal Collaborative Enterprise, 5(3), 181–197.
- Kumar, J., Verma, M. & Dhillon, K. S. (2014). Reduction in defects rate using DMAIC approach- A Case Study.International Journal of Enhanced Research in Science, Technology & Engineering, 3(12), 146–152.
- Nandakumar, P. P. M., Anitha, H. S. & Singh, B. P. (2014).Six Sigma Methodology Utilization in Medical Transcription-A DMAIC Process to Identify Six Sigma Projects.International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, 3(5), 574–578.
- Neha, S. et al. (2013). Lean Manufacturing Tool and Techniques in Process Industry.International Journal of Scientific Research and Reviews, 2(1), 54–63.
- Rekha, R. S., Periyasamy, P. & Nallusamy, S. (2017). Manufacturing Enhancement through Reduction of Cycle Time using Different Lean Techniques. in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 1–11.
- Singh, H. & Lal, E. H. (2016). Application of DMAIC Technique in a Manufacturing Industry for Improving Process Performance - A Case Study.International Journal on Emerging Technologies, 7(2), 36–38.
- Sujova, A., Simanova, L. & Marcinekova, K. (2016). Sustainable Process Performance by Application of Six Sigma Concepts: The Research Study of Two Industrial Cases.Sustainability, 8, 1–21.
- Supriyanto, H. & Maftuhah, D. I. (2017) A Lean Six-Sigma Manufacturing Process Case Study.International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology, 8(7), 498–509.
- Uluskan, M. (2016).A Comprehensive Insight into The Six Sigma DMAIC Toolbox.International Journal of Lean Six Sigma-Emerald Insight, 7(4), 406–429.