PERFORMANCE ON THE DROP IMPACT TEST OF THE CONE CAPSULE SHAPED PORTABLE TSUNAMI LIFEBOAT USINg PENALTY METHOD CONTACT ANALYSIS
This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
terms and conditions.
Volume 17 article 601 pages: 233 - 244
In 2016, the Laboratory of Ship Structures and Construction Diponegoro University organized a research group to
develop an alternative hull form for the tsunami lifeboat. The research group proposed a cone capsule shaped portable
tsunami lifeboat to support tsunami evacuation system, especially to give a portable protection facility that easily accessed
by disable person, senior citizens and children.In order to fulfill the requirement that the lifeboat structure should
be able to withstand the impact load, the aimed of the study is focused on the performance of the drop impact test of
the developed portable tsunami lifeboat using numerical simulation.The tsunami lifeboat has to maintain its structural
integrity when dropped on 3m free fall height. The orientation configurations are considered for the numerical analysis
includes end drop, side drop and reversed drop. The explicit finite element with penalty method contact analysis is used
to evaluate the drop test performance.The results show that the maximum effective stress and plastic strain is found
in the side drop condition.It is indicated that the side structure is more vulnerable than the top and bottom structure.
The maximum absorbed rupture energy is occurred on the frame structure for reversed drop condition, however it is
transmitted effectively to all of the connected frames, outer-shell and inner-shell structures. According to the results of
simulation analysis, it can be concluded that the structure of the cone capsule tsunami lifeboat is reliable to withstand
the severe load during the tsunami disaster.
- Central Disaster Management Council. (2011). Report of the Committee for Technical Investigation on Countermeasures for Earthquakes and tsunamis
Based on the Lessons Learned from the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Eartquake.
- Zakki, A. F., Suharto and Windyandari, A. (2018). The Evaluation of Cone Capsule as an Alternative Hull form for Portable Tsunami Lifeboat to Support
Evacuation System in the Coastal Regions and Small Islands. IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science, vol. 135, 01-08,
- IMO. (1996). International Life-Saving Appliance (LSA) Code.
- Boef, W. J. C. (1992). Launch and impact of free-fall lifeboats. Part I. Impact theory.Ocean Engineering, vol. 19, no. 2, 119-138,
- Boef, W. J. C. (1992).Launch and impact of free-fall lifeboats. Part II. Implementation and applications. Ocean Engineering,vol. 19, no. 2, 139-159,
- Arai, M., Khondoker, M. R. H. and Inoue, Y. (1995). Water Entry Simulation of Free Fall Lifeboat, 1st report: Analysis of Motion and Acceleration.Journal of
The Society of Naval Architects of Japan,vol. 178, 193-201.
- Arai, M., Khondoker, M. R. H. and Inoue, Y. (1996). Water Entry Simulation of Free Fall Lifeboat, 2nd Report: Effects of Acceleration on the Occupants. Journal of The Society of Naval ArchitectS of Japan,vol. 179, 205-211.
- Khondoker, M. R. H. (1998). Effects of launching parameters on the performance of a free-fall lifeboat. Naval Engineers Journal ,vol. 110, no. 4, 67-73,
- Khondoker, M. R. H. and Arai, M. (2000). A comparative study on the behaviour of free-fall lifeboat launching from a skid and from a hook.Proceedings
of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 214, no. 2, 359-370, DOI: 10.1243/0954406001523029.
- Karim,M., Iqbal, K., Khondoker, M. and Rahman,S. (2009). Numerical investigation into the effect of launch skid angle on the behaviour of free-fall lifeboat
in regular waves.Transactions of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects Part B: International Journal of Small Craft Technology, vol. 151.
- Karim, M., Iqbal, K., Khondoker, M. and Rahman, S. (2011). Influence of falling height on the behavior of skid-launching free-fall lifeboat in regular waves.
Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics,vol. 4, no. 1, 77-88.
- Bae, D. M., Zakki, A. F., Kim, H. S. and Kim, J. G. (2010). Estimation of Acceleration Response of Freefall Lifeboat usingFSI Analysis Technique of LS-DYNA Code.Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, vol. 47, no. 5, 681-688, DOI: 10.3744/SNAK.2010.47.5.681.
- Bae, D. M. and Zakki, A. F. (2011). Comparisons of Multi Material ALE and Single Material ALE in LS-DYNA for Estimation of Acceleration Response of Free-fall Lifeboat.Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, vol. 48, no. 6, 552-559, DOI:10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.6.552.
- Shibata,K., Koshizuka, S., Sakai, M., Tanizawa, K. and Ota, S. (2013). Numerical Analysis of Acceleration of a Free-fall Lifeboat Using the MPS Method. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, vol. 23, no. 4, 279-285.
- Zakki, A. F., Windyandari, A. and Bae, D. M. (2016). The Development of New Type Free Fall Lifeboat using Fluid Structure Interaction Analysis.Journal of
Marine Science and Technology-Taiwan, vol. 2016, no. 3, 575-580, DOI: 10.6119/JMST-015-1126-1.
- Zakki, A. F., Windyandari, A. and Bae, D. M. (2015). The Investigation of Launching Parameters on the Motion Pattern of Freefall Lifeboat Using FSI Analysis.
Procedia Earth and Planetary Science, vol. 14, 110-117, DOI: 10.1016/j.proeps.2015.07.091.
- Ji, G., Berchiche, N., Fouques, S., Sauder, T. and Reinholdtsen, S.-A. (2015). Integrity Assessment of a Free-Fall Lifeboat Launched From a FPSO.ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.
- Ringsberg, J., Heggelund,S., Lara,P., Jang,B.-S. and Hirdaris, S. (2017). Structural response analysis of slamming impact on free fall lifeboats.Marine
Structures, vol. 54, 112-126, DOI: 10.1016/j.marstruc. 2017.03.004.
- Brahman Industries. Storm, Tornado and Tsunami Interconnected Modules Shelters (STATIM) Shelter Systems. Brahman Industries. from
https://www.statimshelter.com/. Accessed on 2017-11-04.
- The Guardian. Japanese 'Noah's ark' disaster capsule goes on sale. Cosmo Engineering Company. from
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/sep/30/japanese-noahs-ark-disaster-capsule. Accessed on 2015-11-5.
- Takahiro, S., Kazuo,S., Ryosuke, S., Kenjiro, Y., Hiroyuki, S. and Akio, I. (2014). Development of a Prototype Tsunami Lifeboat.IHI Engineering Review, vol. 46, no. 2, 11-20.
- Tsuneishi Facilities and Craft. Tsunami Lifeboat Guidelinesapproval granted for the TTS80Floating Aluminum Tsunami Shelter. Tsuneishi Facilities and
Craft Co. Ltd. from https://www.tsuneishi-g.jp/english/news/press/2014/09/1674. Accessed on 2015-12-05.
- Shigi Shipbuilding. Lifeboats that are Resilient against Tsunami and FloodsLIFE SEEDER). Shigi Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. from
http://www.shigi-sb.co.jp/en/products/tsunami.html. Accessed on 2015-12-3.
- Yaztrebov, V. A. (2011). Computational Contact Mechanics. Paris: Ph. D. dissertation.
- Vulovic,S., Zivkovic, M., Grujovic, N. and Slavkovic, R. (2007). A comparative Study of Contact Problems Solution Based on the Penalty and Lagrange Multiplier
Approaches.Journal of the Serbian Society for Computational Mechanics,vol. 1, no. 1, 174-183.
- Tanapornraweekit, G., Haritos,N., Mendis, P. and Ngo, T. D. (2010). Finite Element Simulation of FRP Strengthened Reinforced Concrete Slabs Under
Two Independent Air Blasts. International Journal of Protective Structures , vol. 1, no. 4, 469-488, DOI:10.1260/2041-4184.108.40.2069.
- Tanapornraweekit, G., Haritos, N., Mendis, P. (2011). Behavior of FRP-RC Slabs under Multiple Independent Air Blasts.Journal of Performance of Constructed
Facilities, vol. 25, no. 5, 433-440, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000191.