AN OVERVIEW OF CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS FOR IMPLEMENTING 3D PRINTING TECHNOLOGY IN MANUFACTURING FIRMS
This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
terms and conditions.
Volume 17 article 618 pages: 379 - 385
Additive manufacturing, also known as 3D printing or digital fabrication technology, is a process of accumulating deposited layers to form solid 3D objects from 3D models in digital files. 3D printing technology is a fast-emerging technology. Nowadays, 3D printing technology is successfully applied in shaping the globe and producing most of the products used today, from simple plastics to advanced ceramics and metallics. 3D printing technology can print an object layer by layer, by directly depositing the material using computer software, with only just one click. This paper gives an overview of the Critical Success Factors (CSFs) for 3D printing technology in manufacturing firms.The literature found in this paper is mainly from Emerald Insight, Science Direct, Google Scholar and Additive Manufacturing. Briefly. The list of Critical Success Factors can be divided into nine major factors, which are cost, technology, business and support, management and organisation, materials, quality and accuracy, demand, the environment and lastly, research and development.
The working paper was sponsored by Universiti Tun Hussein Onn, Malaysia and the Ministry ofEducation Malaysia through Research Grant Scheme, TIER 1 Vot U880.
- Markstedt, K., Håkansson, K., Toriz, G & Gatenholm, P. (2019). Materials from trees assembled by 3D printing – Wood tissue beyond nature limits. Appl. Mater. Today, vol. 15, pp. 280–285.
- Jakus, A. E. (2019). An Introduction to 3D Printin-Past, Present, and Future Promise. In 3D Printing in Orthopaedic Surgery. (pp. 1-15). Elsevier BV. doi:10.1016/b978-0-323-58118-9.00001-4
- Bhushan, J., & Grover, V. (2019). Additive Manufacturing: Current Concepts, Methods, and Applications in Oral Health Care. In C. Prakash, S. Singh, R. Singh, S. Ramakrishna, B.S. Pabla, S. Puri, & M.S. Uddin (Eds.), Biomanufacturing. (pp. 103-122). Cham: Springer Science and Business Media LLC. doi:10.1007/978-3-030-13951-3_5
- Pumera, M. (2019). 3D printed electrochemical systems for biomedical analytical applications. Curr. Opin. Electrochem.
- Daly, A., Lu, J., & Heemsbergen, L. (2019). Another Dimension of Digital: 3D Printing and Intellectual Property in Asia 1. SSRN, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–14.
- Najmon, J. C., Raeisi, S., & Tovar, A. (2019). Review of additive manufacturing technologies and applications in the aerospace industry. In Additive Manufacturing for the Aerospace Industry. (pp. 7-31). Elsevier BV. doi:10.1016/b978-0-12-814062-8.00002-9
- Holt, C., Edwards, L., Keyte, L., Moghaddam, F., & Townsend, B. (2019). Construction 3D Printing. In 3D Concrete Printing Technology. (pp. 349-370). Elsevier BV. doi:10.1016/b978-0-12-815481-6.00017-8
- Holzmann, P., Schwarz, E. J., & Audretsch, D. B. (2018). Understanding the determinants of novel technology adoption among teachers: the case of 3D printing. Journal of Technology Transfer, vol. 1, no. 33, pp. 1-9.
- Zeijderveld, J. V. (2018). State of 3D Printing 2018: The rise of metal 3D printing, DMLS, and finishes. Sculpteo. [Online]. Available: https://www.sculpteo.com/blog/2018/06/12/state-of-3d-printing-2018-the-rise-of-metal-3d-printing-dmls-and-finishes/.
- Bullen, C. V., & Rockart, J. F. (1981). A primer on critical success factors. Working Paper (Sloan School. Management), no. 69, pp. 1–64.
- Singh, P., & Raghav, A. (2018). 3D Food Printing : A Revolution in Food Technology. Acta Science Nutrient Health, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 11–12.
- Yeh, C. C., & Chen, Y. F. (2018). Critical success factors for adoption of 3D printing. Technology Forecasting and Social Change, vol. 132, no. 2018, pp. 209–216.
- Schniederjans, D. G. (2017). Adoption of 3D-printing technologies in manufacturing: A survey analysis. International Journal Production Economics, vol. 183, no. 2017, pp. 287–298.
- Boon, W., & Wee, B. V. (2018). Influence of 3D printing on transport: a theory and experts judgment based conceptual model. Transportation Review, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 556–575.
- Awad, A., Trenfield, S. J., Goyanes, A., Gaisford, S., & Basit, A. W. (2018). Reshaping drug development using 3D printing. Drug Discovery Today, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1547–1555.
- Chan, H. K., Griffin, J., Lim, J. J., Zeng, F., & Chiu, A. S. F. (2018). The impact of 3D Printing Technology on the supply chain: Manufacturing and legal perspectives. International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 205, no. 2018, pp. 156–162.
- Attaran, M. (2017). The rise of 3-D printing: The advantages of additive manufacturing over traditional manufacturing. Business Horizon, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 677–688.
- Horst, D. J., Duvoisin, C. A., & Vieira, R. D. A. (2018). Additive Manufacturing at Industry 4.0: a Review. International Journal of Engineering and Technical Research, vol. 8, no. 8, p. 2454-4698.
- Juskova, P., Ollitrault, A., Serra, M., Viovy, J. L., & Malaquin, L. (2018). Resolution improvement of 3D stereo-lithography through the direct laser trajectory programming: Application to microfluidic deterministic lateral displacement device,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 1000, pp. 239–247.
- Armillotta, A. (2019). Simulation of edge quality in fused deposition modeling. Rapid Prototyping Journal, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 541–554.
- Fina, F., Goyanes, A., Madla, C. M., Awad, A., Trenfield, S. J., Kuek, J. M., Patel, P., Gaisford, S., & Basit, A. W. (2018). 3D printing of drug-loaded gyroid lattices using selective laser sintering. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 547, no. 1–2, pp. 44–52.
- Joshi, S. C., & Sheikh, A. A. (2015). 3D printing in aerospace and its long-term sustainability. Virtual Physical. Prototyping, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 175–185.
- Kretzschmar, N., Chekurov, S., Salmi, M., & Tuomi, J. (2018). Evaluating the Readiness Level of Additively Manufactured Digital Spare Parts: An Industrial Perspective. Applied Sciences, vol. 8, no. 10, p. 1837.
- Sandström, C. G. (2016). The non-disruptive emergence of an ecosystem for 3D Printing - Insights from the hearing aid industry’s transition. Technological Forecasting Social Change, vol. 102, no. 2016, pp. 160–168.
- Yap, Y. L., Tan, Y. S. E., Tan, H. K. J., Peh, Z. K., Low, X. Y., Yeong, W. Y., Tan, C. S. H., & Laude, A. (2017). 3D printed bio-models for medical applications. Rapid Prototyping Journal, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 227–235.
- Boetker, J., Water, J. J., Aho, J., Arnfast, L., Bohr, A., & Rantanen, J. (2016). Modifying release characteristics from 3D printed drug-eluting products. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 90, no. 2016, pp. 47–52.
- Mousawi, A. A., Garra, P., Sallenave, X., Dumur, F., Toufaily, J., Hamieh, T., Graff, B., Gigmes, D., Fouassier, J. P., & Laleeve, J. (2018). π-Conjugated Dithienophosphole Derivatives as High Performance Photoinitiators for 3D Printing Resins. Macromolecules, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1811–1821.
- Li, Q., Lei, X., Wang, X., Cai, Z., Lyu, P., & Zhang, G. (2019). Hydroxyapatite /Collagen 3D printed Scaffolds and their Osteogenic Effects on hBMSCs. Tissue Engineering, pp. 1-62, 2019
- Caballero, S. S. R., Saiz, E., Montemboult, A., Tadier, S., Maire, E., David, L., Delair, T., & Gremillard, L. (2019). 3-D printing of chitosan-calcium phosphate inks: rheology, interactions and characterization. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1-15.
- Li, Z., Liu, C., Wang, B., Wang, C., Wang, Z., Yang, F., Gao, C., Liu, H., Qin, Y., & Wang, J. (2018). Heat treatment effect on the mechanical properties, roughness and bone ingrowth capacity of 3D printing porous titanium alloy. RSC Advances., vol. 8, no. 22, pp. 12471–12483.
- Ben-Barak, I., Kamir, Y., Menkin, S., Goor, M., Skehtman, I., Ripenbein, T., Galun, E., Golodnitsky, D., & Peled, E. (2018). Drop-on-Demand 3D Printing of Lithium Iron Phosphate Cathodes. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 166, no. 3, pp. A5059–A5064.
- Zhang, F., Wei, M., Viswanathan, V. V., Swart, B., Shao, Y., Wu, G., & Zhou, C. (2017). 3D printing technologies for electrochemical energy storage. Nano Energy, vol. 40, no. 2017, pp. 418–431.
- Wu, A. M., Lin, J. L., Kwan, K. Y. H., Wang, X. Y., & Zhao, J. (2018). 3D-printing techniques in spine surgery: the future prospects and current challenges. Expert Review of Medical Devices, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 399–401.
- Zeng, Y., Yan, Y., Yan, H., Liu, C., Li, P., Dong, P., Zhao, Y., & Chen, J. (2018). 3D printing of hydroxyapatite scaffolds with good mechanical and biocompatible properties by digital light processing, Journal of Materials Science, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 6291–6301.
- Wang, L., Zhang, M., Bhandari, B., & Yang, C. (2018). Investigation on fish surimi gel as promising food material for 3D printing. Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 220, pp. 101–108.
- Sreehitha, V. (2017). Impact of 3D Printing in Automotive Industries. International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 1-5.
- Samuel, F. W. (2017). 3D printing and supply chain management: A literature review and research agenda. International Conference on Mechanical Engineering (Meche), vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–12.
- Hager, I., Golonka, A., & Putanowicz, R. (2016). 3D Printing of Buildings and Building Components as the Future of Sustainable Construction? Procedia Engineering, vol. 151, no. 2016, pp. 292–299.