AN INTELLIGENT MAXIMUM POWER POINT SOLAR TRACKING SYSTEM
This paper accentuates the enhancement of electric energy produced from Photo Voltaic (PV) solar modules as a result of sun tracking. The development of the tracking system is based on finding the orientation of a solar module at which maximum power is delivered. Two approaches for monitoring “Real-time power” have been demonstrated namely Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) based circuit and varying resistive load using analog switches. The approaches are meant to obtain Voltage-Current (VI) curve of the solar panel and consequently locate the Maximum Power Point (MPP). A modified form of the Perturb & Observe (P&O) algorithm has been used for tracking. The tracking system has many advantages in relation to similar devices. It is intelligent in a way that it not only performs real-time power monitoring but also has the ability to store information and improve behavior based on previous tracking history. The effectiveness of the proposed tracking scheme has been demonstrated experimentally on a commercially available single axis solar tracking platform.
1.Khalil, A.A., & El, S.M. Position control of Sun tracking system. page 45, Volume 6.
2. Energy crisis for the Earth.www.paulchefurka.ca/energygap.html.
3. Statistical review of energy of 2008. www.bp.com.
4. Saigh, A.A.M., & ed., (1977). Solar Energy Engineering. New York: Academics press.
5. Nevile, R.C. (1995). Solar Energy Conversion in the Netherlands. Elsevier Science.
6. Clifford, M.J., & Eastwood, D. Design of a Novell Passive Solar Tracker.
7. Anderson, E., & Dohan, C. Solar Panel Peak Power Tracking System.
8. Klaus, B., & Markvert, (1994). Solar Electricity Christeler. NY: Wiley Press.
9. National Center of Photovoltaic. Turning Sunlight into Electricity.www.eren.doe.gov/pv/siatomic.html.
10. Rubio, F.R., Ortega, M.G., Gordillo, F., & López-Martínez, M. (2007). Application of new control strategy for sun tracking. Energy Conversion and Management, 48(7), 2174-2184. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2006.12.020
11. Figueiredo, J.M.G., & Sá, d.J.M.G. Intelligent Sun-Tracking System for Efficiency Maximization of Photovoltaic Energy Production.
12. Grandi, G., Rossi, C., & Casadei, D. A MPPT Algorithm For Single-Phase Single-Stage Photovoltaic Converters
13. Rubio, F.R., Ortega, M.G., Gordillo, F., & Lo´pez-Martı´nez, M. Application of new control strategy for sun tracking.
14. Faranda, R., & Leva, S. Energy comparison of MPPT techniques for PV Systems.
15. Pandey, A., Dasgupta, N., & Mukerjee, A.K. High-Performance Algorithms for Drift Avoidance and Fast Tracking in Solar MPPT System.
16. Yafaoui, A., Wu, B., & Cheung, R. Implementation of Maximum Power Point tracking algorithm for residential photovoltaic systems.