STRENGTH OF AGED WOOD IN OLD CONSTRUCTIONS
The results of comprehensive research into spruce and pine wood in a structure after 70 years of its exploitation
are presented. Signifi cant changes in the wood in terms of compressive strength along the grain and static bending
across the grain were revealed compared with fresh wood. The magnitude of these changes depends on the location
of wood in the walls of the structure relative to the cardinal points.
1. Ugolev, B.N. (2007) Wood Science and Forest Commodity Science. M: MGUL.
2. Ugolev, B.N. (2001) Wood science with basic concepts of timber merchandizing. - M: MGUL, 340 p.
3. Bucur V. (2016). Handbook of Materials for String Musical Instruments. In: Springer International Publishing. Switzerland, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319- 32080-9.
4. Fedyukov, V.I. (2018) Non-destructive method for express-diagnostics of resonant properties of wood aged in old structures / V.I. Fedyukov, V.Yu. Chernov, M.S. Chernova, N.A. Magalyas, O.V. Tsoy // Wood structure, properties and quality – 2018: Materials of VI International Symposium after B.N. Ugolev, dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the Regional Coordinating Council on modern problems of wood science (Krasnoyarsk, 10–16 September 2018) – Novosibirsk: SB RAS printing house.
5. Fedyukov, V.I. (2016) Resonant spruce: selection from stands, cultivation, intended use: monograph. Volga State University of Technology. 256 p.
6. Gusev, B.P. (1999) Church of the Transfi guration in Kizhi. Considering the properties and condition of the log structure timber in the course of restoration // Actual problems of research and recovery of unique monuments of wooden architecture. SPb., pp.106- 112.
7. TerentyevB.Ya., Nikonov N.I., Soushinskaya R.I. (1998) Mechanical properties of pine wood after prolonged use in the supporting structures of buildings. M.: Woodworkingindustry, No.7,pp.15-17.
8. Keskkulla, Т.E. (1986) Operability of agricultural production buildings: Doctoral thesis. Tartu, 398 p.
9. Kranitz, Katalin&Deublein, Markus &Niemz, Peter (2013) Determination of Dynamic Elastic Moduli and Shear Moduli of Aged Wood by Means of Ultrasonic Devices. In: Materials and Structures 2013, 47-55, DOI: 10.1617/s11527-013-0103-8.
10. Pishchik I.I. (2014) Dating of wooden monuments: monograph / I.I. Pishchik; Ministry of education and science of the Russian Federation, FSBEI HPE ‘Moscow State University of Forest’. M.: Moscow State University of Forest Publishing House. 161 p.
11. IsayevaТ.I., Brukhanova N.К. (1969) Study of the properties of wood and wood materials // Collection of works of the Institute of the forest and wood, SB of the USSR AS, Krasnoyarsk.
12. Kozlov V.А., Kroutov V.I., KisternayaМ.V. (1996) Methodological bases for assessing the wood condition of the Church of Transfi guration in the Kizhi Museum-Preserve // Proceedings of the II International Symposium: Structure, Properties and Quality of Wood-96, October 1996, MGUL, М., pp.307-312.
13. Shapovalova L.G. et al. (1996) Physical and mechanical properties of larch wood during long-term exploitation // Proceedings of the II International Symposium: Structure, properties and quality of wood-96, October 1996, MGUL, M., pp. 246-250.
14. Andreyev, N.N. (1938) On the tree for musical instruments. Collection of works, CMSRL. M.L., pp. 11-18.
15. BorovikovА.M., Ugolev B.N. (1989) Timber reference- book: Reference-book / Ed. by B.N. Ugolev. М.: Timber industry. 296 p.
16. Obataya E (2009) Effect of ageing and heating on the mechanical properties of wood. In: Proc “Wood science for conservation of cultural heritage”, COST action IE 0601, Firenze Univ. Press, Florence, Italy, pp. 16–23.
17. Patent of invention RU 12665149 С1 for Method for express diagnostics of resonance properties of wood aged in old structures / V.I. Fedyukov, V.Yu. Chernov, M.S. Chernova, N.A. Magalyas, O.V. Tsoy, IPC G01N 33/46. Appl. 07.08.2017; Publ. 28.08.2018. Bul. No 25.
18. GOST 16483.3-84 (СТСЭВ 390-76) (1999) Wood. Method for determining the tensile strength in static bending – M.: Standards publishing.
19. GOST 16483.10-73 (1999) Wood. Methods for determining compressive strength along grains – M.: Standards publishing.
20. Kranitz, Katalin & Sonderegger, Walter &Bues, Claus-Thomas &Niemz, Peter. (2015). Effects of aging on wood: a literature review. Wood Science and Technology. 50. 10.1007/s00226-015-0766-0.
21. Matsuo, M., Yokoyama, M., Umemura, K., et al. (2011). Aging of wood: Analysis of color changes during natural aging and heat treatment. Holzforschung, 65(3), pp. 361-368. Retrieved 30 Oct. 2019, from doi:10.1515/hf.2011.040.
22. Finnish Thermo Wood Association: Thermo Wood Handbook. Helsinki,Finland (2003).
23. Froidevaux J, Navi P (2013) Ageing law of spruce wood. Wood Mat SciEng 8(1):46–52.
24. Katalin Kranitz (2016) Effects of aging on wood: a literature review. In: Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2015, 7-16, DOI: 10.1007/s00226-015-0766-0.
25. Yokoyama M, Gril J, Matsuo M, Yano H et al (2009) Mechanical characteristics of aged hinoki (Chamaecyparisobtusa) wood from Japanese historical buildings. In: Proceedings wood science for conservation of cultural heritage, October 7–10, COST Action IE 0601. Hamburg, Germany. PaperSession 4. 9 pp.