CALCULATION METHODOLOGY FOR GEOMETRICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE FORMing TOOL FOR RIB COLD ROLLing
Calculation of the forming tool for rib cold rolling by the enveloping method is usually complex and very time-consuming.
The cold rolling process is not always optimized, resulting in a poor quality of the rolled rib profile and premature
failure of the forming tool. Improvement in techniques of rib rolling on metal heat-exchange tubes is a challenging
technological task, which has defined the purpose of the present work – the study of the effect of the forming tool for
cold rolling of ribs by enveloping method on the accuracy of geometrical dimensions of ribbed surfaces. Absence of
a well-developed calculation methodology for this type of tool now adversely affects the rate of manufacturing application
of rib cold rolling processes. Since the main task when introducing the rib rolling process is to achieve the
required accuracy of the work-piece, it seems expedient to improve calculation methodologies allowing designing
a forming tool for rib cold rolling taking into account the required accuracy of geometrical dimensions of the ribbed
surfaces. The present work proposes a methodology that allows performing calculations of parameters required for
manufacturing and supervision over various rolling tools. Experimental approbation data of the outlined methodology
results are presented. Because of deformation processing without additional technological operations, the effect of
surface hardening has been achieved, and the roughness of rolled ribbed surfaces Ra was 0.8 μm, which is comparable
in quality only with finishing machining. It was demonstrated that when calculating the coordinates of profile
points, the geometry of the lead-in, as well as rolls with a screw rib, it is particularly important to determine the angle
of crush forming rolls and the y-coordinate of rolling bars as the main characteristics of the profile.
Some results of this manuscript were obtained as a part
of the work under the Agreement on the provision of subsidies
under date of 13 December 2019 No. 75-15-2019-
1941 (the agreement internal number 05.607.21.0321)
on the topic: “Development of design and technological
solutions for modular pre-fabricated transmission line
towers with integrated systems for continuous digital
monitoring of the condition and thermal stabilization of
the soil to meet the needs of the Arctic regions and the
Far North” with the Ministry of Science and Higher Education
of the Russian Federation. The unique identifier
of the applied research (project) is RFMEFI60719X0321.
1. Hakansson, H. (2015). Industrial Technological Development. Routledge Revivals, London. doi:10.4324/9781315724935.
2. Acemoglu, D. (2012). Introduction to economic growth. Journal of Economic Theory, vol. 147, no. 2, 545–550. doi:10.1016/j.jet.2012.01.023.
3. Olejnik, A.V. (2009). The tasks of intellectual development and support of innovative infrastructure in the Russian Federation. Scientific and Technical Information Processing, vol. 36, pp. 1, 39–42. doi:10.3103/s0147688209010055.
4. Glazyev, S. (2018). Discovery of Regularities of Changes of Technological Orders in the Central Economic and Mathematics Institute of the Soviet Academy of Sciences. Economics and Mathematical Methods, vol. 3, 17–30. doi:10.31857/s042473880000655-9.
5. Hitomi, K. (2017). Manufacturing Systems Engineering. Routledge, London. doi:10.1201/9780203748145.
6. Agafonov, F., Genin, A., Kalinina, O., Brel, O., Zhironkina, O. (2017). Technological convergence and innovative development of natural resource economy. E3S Web of Conferences, vol. 15, 04011. doi:10.1051/e3sconf/20171504011.
7. Zheng, D. (2015). Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Technology. Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Technology (ICIEMT 2014), July 10- 11, 2014, Shanghai, China. doi:10.1201/b18144.
8. Semenov, A.B., Fomina, O.N., Muranov, A.N., Kutsbakh, A.A., Semenov, B.I. (2019). The Modern Market of Blank Productions in Mechanical Engineering and the Problem of Standardization of New Materials and Technological Processes. Advanced Materials & Technologies, vol. 1, 003–011. doi:10.17277/amt.2019.01.pp.003-011.
9. Semenov, A.B., Kutsbakh, A.A., Muranov, A.N., Semenov, B.I. (2019). Metallurgy of thixotropic materials: the experience of organizing the processing of structural materials in engineering Thixo and MIM methods. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 683, 012056. doi:10.1088/1757-899x/683/1/012056.
10. Jiang, Z.Y. (2011). Mechanics of cold rolling of thin strip. Numerical analysis–Theory and application, Intech Open, Rijeka, 439-462. doi:10.5772/23344.
11. Gubanova, N.V., Karelin, F.R., Choporov, V.F., Yusupov, V.S. (2011). Study of rolling in helical rolls by mathematical simulation with the DEFORM 3D software package. Russian Metallurgy (Metally), vol. 2011, no. 3, 188–193. doi:10.1134/s0036029511030074.
12. Fedorov, S.V., Aleshin, S.V., Swe, M.H., Abdirova, R.D., Kapitanov, A.V., Egorov, S.B. (2017). Comprehensive surface treatment of high-speed steel tool. Mechanics & Industry, vol. 18, no. 7, 711. doi:10.1051/meca/2017066.
13. Johnson, K.L. (2000). Plastic Deformation in Rolling Contact. Rolling Contact Phenomena, 163–201. doi:10.1007/978-3-7091-2782-7_3.
14. Bower, A.F., Johnson, K.L. (1989). The infl uence of strain hardening on cumulative plastic deformation in rolling and sliding line contact. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 37, no. 4, 471– 493. doi:10.1016/0022-5096(89)90025-2.
15. Mc Dowell, D.L., Moyar, G.J. (1990). Effects of non-linear kinematic hardening on plastic deformation and residual stresses in rolling line contact. Mechanics and Fatigue in Wheel/Rail Contact, 19–37. doi:10.1016/b978-0-444-88774-0.50006-7.
16. Yoshimi, T., Matsumoto, S., Tozaki, Y., Yoshida, T., Sonobe, H., Nishide, T. (2009). Work Hardening and Change in Contact Condition of Rolling Contact Surface with Plastic Deformation. Tribology Online, vol. 4, no. 1, 1–5. doi:10.2474/trol.4.1.
17. Wais, P. (2012). Fin-Tube Heat Exchanger Optimization. Heat Exchangers - Basics Design Applications. InTech, Rijeka. doi:10.5772/33492.
18. Wang, F., Liang, C., Yang, M., Fan, C., Zhang, X. (2015). Effects of surface characteristic on frosting and defrosting behaviors of fin-tube heat exchangers. Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 75, 1126– 1132. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.10.090.
19. Carija, Z., Frankovic, B., Percic, M., Cavrak, M. (2014). Heat transfer analysis of fin-and-tube heat exchangers with fl at and louvered fin geometries. International Journal of Refrigeration, vol. 45, 160– 167. doi:10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2014.05.026.
20. Kim, K., Lee, K.-S. (2013). Frosting and defrosting characteristics of surface-treated louvered- fin heat exchangers: Effects of fin pitch and experimental conditions. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 60, 505–511. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2013.01.036.
21. Li, Z. (2018). Elastic Deformation of Surface Topography under Line Contact and Sliding-rolling Conditions. Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 54, no. 5, 142. doi:10.3901/jme.2018.05.142.
22. Jiang, Z., Xie, H. (2018). Application of Finite Element Analysis in Multiscale Metal Forming Process. Finite Element Method - Simulation, Numerical Analysis and Solution Techniques. InTech, Rijeka. doi:10.5772/intechopen.71880.
23. Hong-Seok Park, Tran Viet, Anh. (2010). Finite Element Analysis of roll forming process of aluminum automotive component. International Forum on Strategic Technology 2010. doi:10.1109/ifost.2010.5667921.
24. Hao, L., Jiang, Z., Wei, D., & Chen, X. (2013). Finite element analysis of roll bit behaviors in cold foil rolling process. AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 1532, 478. doi:10.1063/1.4806864.
25. Jung, D.W. (2018). Finite Element Analysis for the Roll Forming Process of Rib. Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol. 878, 302–307. doi:10.4028/www.scientifi c.net/amm.878.302.
26. Tsang, K.S., Ion, W., Blackwell, P., English, M. (2017). Validation of a fi nite element model of the cold roll forming process on the basis of 3D geometric accuracy. Procedia Engineering, vol. 207, 1278– 1283. doi:10.1016/j.proeng.2017.10.883.
27. Strycharska, D., Szota, P., Mroz, S. (2017). Increasing the Durability of Separating Rolls during Rolling Ribbed Bars in the Three-Strand Technology. Archives of Metallurgy and Materials, vol. 62, no. 3, 1535–1540. doi:10.1515/amm-2017-0236.
28. Szota, P., Strycharska, D., Mroz, S., Stefanik, A. (2015). Analysis of Rolls Wear during the Ribbed Bars Multi-Slit Rolling Process. Archives of Metallurgy and Materials, vol. 60, no. 2, 815–820. doi:10.1515/amm-2015-0212.
29. Strycharska, D. (2019). Analysis of Roll Wear Costs During Multi-Strand Rolling of Ribbed Bars Using New Slitting Pass System. New Trends in Production Engineering, vol. 2, no. 2, 267–278. doi:10.2478/ ntpe-2019-0091.
30. Karkina, L.E., Zubkova, T.A., Yakovleva, I.L. (2013). Dislocation structure of cementite in granular pearlite after cold plastic deformation. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, vol. 114, no. 3, 234–241. doi:10.1134/s0031918x13030095.
31. Yakovleva, I.L., Karkina, L.E., Zubkova, T.A., Tabatchikova, T.I. (2011). Effect of cold plastic deformation on the structure of granular pearlite in carbon steels. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, vol. 112, no. 1, 101–108. doi:10.1134/s0031918x11010388.
32. Qiao, X.G., Gao, N., Starink, M.J. (2012). A model of grain refinement and strengthening of Al alloys due to cold severe plastic deformation. Philosophical Magazine, vol. 92, no. 4, 446–470. doi:10.1080/14786435.2011.616865.
33. Luo, W., Chen, Y., & Zhang, G. (2015). Helix error testing and tracing on planar enveloping hourglass worm tooth surface. Xinan Jiaotong Daxue Xuebao/ Journal of Southwest Jiaotong University, 50(2), 279-285. doi:10.3969/j.issn.0258-2724.2015.02.011
34. Wei, X., & Jiang, S. (2017). Fatigue life prediction on rib-to-deck welded joints of steel bridge deck based on LEFM. Xinan Jiaotong Daxue Xuebao/Journal of Southwest Jiaotong University, 52(1), 16-22. doi:10.3969/j.issn.0258-2724.2017.01.003
35. Antufi ev, B.A., Egorova, O.V., Orekhov, A.A., Kuznetsova, E.L. (2018). Dynamics of a Clamped Ribbed Plate under Moving Loads. Periodico Tche Quimica, vol. 15, special issue 1, 368-376.