This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 18 article 727 pages: 561 - 564
Anaerobic digestion is a natural process of organic material degradation by different kinds of microorganisms in the
absence of oxygen. This process is used for industrial purpose to manage waste streams or to produce biogas. It
gives a major contribution in reduction of harmful effects of organic waste disposal to the environment. The aim of
agricultural waste pretreatment in biogas production is to decrease the retention time, improve utilization of raw material
and improve the overall productivity and energy efficiency of the production process. In this paper the effects
of combined chemical and mechanical pretreatment of corn straw biomass on biogas yield during anaerobic digestion
of the feedstock were analyzed. The impact of pretreatment and process parameters in biogas production was
analyzed by process simulation using the software SuperPro Designer. Using this tool, it was shown that alkaline
pretreatment leads to an decrease of degradation time along with an increase in biogas yield.
Authors gratefully acknowledge Goran Mitrovic, B.Sc,
Biogas Power Technology, Kikinda and Karolj Damjanov,
B.Sc, Ekotehna, Kikinda, for experimental data.
1. Sawyerr, N., Trois, C., Workneh, T., Okudoh, V. (2019). An Overview of Biogas Production: Fundamentals, Applications and Future Research. International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, vol. 9, 105-116, DOI: 10.32479/ijeep.7375
2. Rodriguez, C., Alaswad, A., Benyounis, K.Y., Olabi, A.G. (2017). Pretreatment techniques used in biogas production from grass. Bioresource Technology, vol. 68, 1193-1204, DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2016.02.022
3. Bharathirajaa, B., Sudharsanaa, T., Jayamuthunagaib, J., Praveenkumarc, R., Chozhavendhand, S., Iyyappan, J. (2018). Biogas production – A review on composition, fuel properties, feed stock andprinciples of anaerobic digestion. Bioresource Technology, vol. 90, 570-582, DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2018.03.093
4. Shafiei, M., Kabir, M.M., Zilouei, H., Horvath, I.S., Karimi, K. (2013). Techno-economical study of biogas production improved by steam explosion pretreatment. Bioresource Technology, vol. 148, 53-60, DOI: 10.1016/j.biortech.2013.08.111
5. Kovacevic, V., Status of Using Agricultural Biomass for Energy Purposes in Serbia, from http://biomasa. undp.org.rs/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Agricultural- Biomass_12_01_2019_1_engleski.pdf, accessed on 2020-04-27.
6. Montgomery, L.F.R., Bochmann, G. (2014). Pretreatment of feedstock for enhanced biogas production. IEA Bioenergy
7. Harmsen, P., Huijgen, W., Bermudez, L., Bakker, R. (2010). Literature review of physical and chemical pretreatment processes for lignocellulosic biomass. Wageningen UR Food & Biobased Research.
8. Patinvoh, R.J., Osadolor, O.A., Chandolias, K., Horvath, I.S., Taherzadeh, M.J. (2017). Innovative pretreatment strategies for biogas production. Bioresource Technology, vol. 224, 13-24, DOI: 10.1016/j. biortech.2016.11.083
9. Bochmann, G., Montgomery, L.F.R. (2013). Storage and pre-treatment of substrates for biogas production. Wellinger, A., Murphy, J., Baxter, D. The Biogas Handbook. University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Austria p. 85-103.
10. Antanaskovic, A., (2019). Justifi cation of pretreatment in the biogas production. Master paper. Faculty of Technology and Metallurgy, University of Belgrade, Serbia. (In Serbian)
11. Song, Z., Yang, G., Liu, X., Yan, Z., Yuan, Y., Liao, Y. (2014). Comparison of Seven Chemical Pretreatments of Corn Straw for Improving Methane Yield by Anaerobic Digestion. PLOS ONE, vol. 9, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0093801