This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 19 article 767 pages: 92 - 97
This presented work analysis of effects of changes in various injection parameters on development of combustion
pressure development and noise emissions from engines. Scope of using non-intrusive diagnosis technique has
been analyzed by using changing various locations of microphone around the engine. In particular the noise emissions
from engines were found to be dependent on quantity of fuel injected inside cylinder. Various characteristic
frequency ranges of contributing sources have been identified. Time–Frequency analysis has shown onset of various
events associated with working of engine. Based on the identification of various frequency bands, it is possible to
device suitable filters in order to extract more information about combustion and motion based noise which is done
in later part of this work. It may be used as an effective tool for condition monitoring of engines in order to gain fuel
economy. Suitable structural modifications of engine may be also done in order to improve its performance on
various noise and vibration benchmarks .
1. Zheng et al. (2002). Internal combustion engine noise analysis time-frequency distribution, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power Vol. 124, No. 3, DOI: 10.1115/1.1455639
2. Zhen et al. (2015). Combustion Noise Analysis for Combustion and Fuels Diagnosis of a Compression Ignition Diesel Engine Operating with Biodiesels, Combustion Science and Technology, Vol.187, No.12,1974-1992.
3. Kim et al. (2008). Prediction of interior noise by excitation force of the powertrain based on hybrid transfer path analysis, International Journal off Automotive Technology, Vol. 9, No. 5, 577-583.
4. Biermann et al. (2005). possibilities to improve transient gear shift noise (shift clonk) in a passenger car, International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 6, No. 1, 23-28.
5. Ibarra D., Ramirez-Mendoza R., Lopez E. (2016). A New Approach for Estimating Noise Emission of Automotive Vehicles, Acta Acustica united with Acustica. Vol. 102,930 – 937.
6. C. Yang and T. Feng. (2016). Abnormal Noise Diagnosis of Internal Combustion Engine Using Wavelet Spatial Correlation Filter and Symmetrized Dot Pattern, Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 141, 168-173.
7. Torregrosa et al. (2007). Combustion noise level assessment in direct injection diesel engines by means of in-cylinder pressure components, measurement science and technology, Vol. 18, No. 7, 2007. IOP publishing ltd.
8. Hou, X., Du, S., Lu, C., Liu, Z., Zheng, H., & Wu, H. (2007). Sound & vibration control for a single-cylinder gasoline engine based on parameter optimization of timing-chain system, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol. 232, No. 13,1815-1827,2018., DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/09544070177444.
9. Madhava Varma B., Ravi Kumar N.1 and Prasanthi G. (2016). International Journal of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering (IJAME), Vol. 13, No.2, 3434 - 3450.
10. Keskin, A. (2010). The Influence of Ethanol–Gasoline Blends on Spark Ignition Engine Vibration Characteristics and Noise Emissions, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, Vol. 32, No. 20,1851-1860, DOI: 10.1080/15567030902804749
11. Yang et al. (2018). Vibration Characteristics of Compression Ignition Engines Fueled with Blended Petro- Diesel and Fischer-Tropsch Diesel Fuel from Coal Fuels, Energies, Vol. 11, No. 8, 2043, DOI:10.3390/ en11082043
12. Ridsdill-Smith, T.A. (2007). The application of the wavelet transform to the processing of aeromagnetic data, PhD thesis, University of Western Australia. 2000.
13. Narayan, S. (2014). A review of diesel engine acoustics, FME Transactions, Vol. 42, No. 2, 150- 154.
14. Narayan Sunny. (2015). Correlation between in cylinder pressure and noise emissions from engines, Journal of Kones power train and Transport, Vol. 22, No. 1, 243-254.
15. Mahroogi, F.O., Narayan, S., Gupta, V. (2018). Acoustic transfer function in gasoline engines, International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration, Vol. 14, No. 3, 270-280.
16. Narayan, S., Gupta, V. (2018). Numerical analysis of secondary motion of piston skirt in engines, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibrations, Vol. 23, 557-565.
17. Narayan, S. (2015). Piston slap noise in engines, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 8, No. 14, 1695-1700
18. Narayan,S., (2015). Analysis of Piston Slap Motion, IJAME, Vol. 20, No. 2, 445–450.
19. Narayan, S. (2015). Modeling of Noise Radiated from Engines, SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0107.
20. M.U. Kaisan, S. Abubakar, B. Ashok, Dhinesh Balasubramanian, S. Narayan, Ivan Grujic & Nadica Stojanovic (2018). Comparative analyses of biodiesel produced from jatropha and neem seed oil using a gas chromatography–mass spectroscopy technique, Biofuels, Taylor and Francis, DOI: 10.1080/17597269.2018.1537206.
21. Faisal O. Mahroogi, S. Narayan (2020). A recent review of hybrid automotive systems in Gulf Corporation Council (GCC) region, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile, SAGE Publications, Volume 233, No.14, 3579-3587 DOI:10.1177/0954407019836055
22. S. Narayan. (2019). Combustion monitoring in engines using accelerometer signals, Journal of Vibro- engineering, Vol. 21, No. 6, 1552-1563
23. S. Narayan.(2013). Wavelet analysis of diesel engine noise. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 8, 255-259., DOI:10.3923/jeasci. 2013.255.259
24. Sunny Narayan.(2013). Piston Slap Noise in engines, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 8, No.14,1695-1700.
25. Sunny Narayan.(2013). Effect of dwell time on noise radiated from diesel engine, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 8, No. 11, 1339- 1347.
26. Ali Sulaiman Alsagri, Vipul Gupta, S.Narayan. (2018). Design and analysis of hybrid automotive suspension system, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development (IJMPERD), Vol. 9, No. 4, 637-642.
27. Ali Sulaiman Alsagri, Faisal O. Mahroogi, S.Narayan. (2018). Design and analysis of Double Wishbone suspension systems for automotive applications, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development (IJMPERD), Vol. 9, No. 4, 1433–1442.
28. S Narayan. (2015). Analysis of noise emitted from diesel engines. Journal of Physics Conference Series 12/2015;662(1):012018., DOI:10.1088/1742659 6/662/1/012018.
29. Faisal O. mahroogi, S. Narayan.(2019). Dynamic- analysis-of-piston-secondary-motion-using FEM method, Proceedings of the 26th International Congress on Sound and Vibration, Montreal bridges, ISSN 2329-3675, ISBN 978-1-9991810-0-0.
30. Narayan, S. (2015). Effects of Various Parameters on Piston Secondary Motion, SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0709. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2015- 01-0079
31. Grujic, I., Stojanovic, N., Pesic, R., Davinic, A., Narayan, S.(2020). Numerical analysis of IC engine operation with high-pressure hydrogen injection, Transactions of FAMENA, Vol.44, No. 1, pp. 55-66.
32. Abubakar, S., Anafi , F.O., Kaisan, M.U., Umar, S., Umar, U.A. (2020). Comparative analyses of experimental and simulated performance of a mixed-mode solar dryer, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 234,No.7, pp. 1393-1402.
33. Stojanovic, N., Ghazaly, N.M., Grujic, I., Glisovic, J., Narayan, S. (2020).Influence of size of ventilated brake disc’s ribs on air fl ow velocity, International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, Vol. 29, No.1, pp. 637-647.