This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 19 article 793 pages: 282-291
This study aimed to evaluate the performance of structures such as drift ratios and internal forces arising on structural
components due to earthquake and tsunami loads. The structures were modeled in three dimensions with varying
heights of 3, 5, and 7-story according to the allowable building height in Bali, Indonesia. The earthquake load was
designed in accordance with Indonesian standard SNI-1726-2012 and Tsunami loading refers to FEMA P646-2012.
Three different loads were applied namely earthquake load, combined tsunami load 1 (T1), and combined tsunami
load 2 (T2). The results showed that the drift ratios of the 3-story building structure subjected to all loads meets the
criteria for a building with risk category IV, should less than 1%. However, for the 5 and 7-story building structures,
the drift ratio on the first floor was only due to the earthquake load fulfilled (<1%). The drift ratio of 1.44% and 2.13%
respectively were due to the loads T1 and T2 for 5-story and 2.88% and 4.67% for the 7-story building. These results
indicated that the 5-story and 7-story building structure is unable to withstand the lateral forces due to the tsunami
load neither load T1 nor T2.
1. Rukin, (2020), Economic Development of Coastal Village Communities as Increase Welfare Efforts, Jurnal Sosial Humaniora p-ISSN 2087-4928 e-ISSN 2550-0236 Volume 11 Nomor 1, April 2020.
2. Saatcioglu M.. Ghobarah A. and Nistor I..(2005) “Effects of the December 26. 2004 Sumatra Earthquake and Tsunami on Physical Infrastructure”. ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology. Paper No. 457. Vol. 42. No. 4. December. pp. 79-94.
3. FEMA P646. 2012. Guidelines for Design of Structures for Vertical Evacuation from Tsunamis. Applied Technology Council. FEMA. Washington. DC.
4. Hamzah, L., Puspito, N. T., & Imamura, F. (2000). Tsunami catalog and zones in Indonesia. Journal of Natural Disaster Science, 22(1), 25-43.
5. Lovholt, F., Kuhn, D., Bungum, H., Harbitz, C. B., & Glimsdal, S. (2012). Historical tsunamis and present tsunami hazard in eastern Indonesia and the southern Philippines. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 117(B9).
6. SNI 1726-2012: Tata Cara Perencanaan Ketahanan Gempa untuk Struktur Bangunan Gedung dan Non Gedung (Earthquake Resistant Planning Procedures for Building and Non-Building Structures). National Standardization Agency. Jakarta. 2012.
7. Post, J., Wegscheider, S., Muck, M., Zosseder, K., Kiefl, R., Steinmetz, T., & Strunz, G. (2009). Assessment of human immediate response capability related to tsunami
8. Wegscheider, S., Post, J., Zosseder, K., Mück, M., Strunz, G., Riedlinger, T., & Anwar, H. Z. (2011). Generating tsunami risk knowledge at community level as a base for planning and implementation of risk reduction strategies. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 11(2), 249-258.
9. Stolle, J., Krautwald, C., Robertson, I., Achiari, H., Mikami, T., Nakamura, R., & Nistor, I. (2020). Engineering lessons from the 28 September 2018 Indonesian tsunami: debris loading. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 47(1), 1-12.
10. Joshua M., Alison R., Antonios P., Ioan N., Sean W. and Tiziana R., (2018) Tsunami design procedures for engineered buildings: a critical review, Civil Engineering 171(4):1-60, ICE publishing., DOI: 10.1680/ jcien.17.00043
11. Panitan L. and Ruangrassamee, A. 2008. Building damage in Thailand in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami and clues for tsunami-resistant design. The IES Journal Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering. Volume 1, Issue 1.
12. Siswanto A.B., Afif S.M., (2018), Basic Criteria Design Of Earthquake Resistant Building Structures, International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology (IJCIET) Volume 9, Issue 4, April 2018, pp. 1426–1436, Article ID: IJCIET_09_04_158 , ISSN Print: 0976-6308 and ISSN Online: 0976-6316
13. Gary Y.K.C., Dist., Lyle C., Ian R., Yong W., (2018), Tsunami Resilient Building Design Consideration For Coastal Communities Of Washington, Oregon, And California, ASCE., Journal Of Structural Engineering, Volume 144, Issue 8- August.
14. Imran, I., Yuniarsyah, E., Edrea, F., Piranti, S.N., Faiza, F., Binarandi, G. (2013). Pedoman Teknik Perancangan Struktur Bangunan Tempat Evakuasi Sementara (TES) Tsunami Badan Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana (BNPB). Jakarta
15. Hall, S., Emmett, C., Cope, A., Harris, R., Setiadi, G. D., Meservy, W., & Berrett, B. (2019). Tsunami knowledge, information sources, and evacuation intentions among tourists in Bali, Indonesia. Journal of Coastal Conservation, 23(3), 505-519.
16. SNI 1727-2013: Beban Minimum untuk Perancangan Bangunan Gedung dan Struktur Lain (Minimum Load for Building Design and Other Structures). National Standardization Agency. Jakarta. 2013.