This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 19 article 796 pages: 318-326
This paper has investigated the semi-analytical analysis of the solid-fluid interaction vibration in the presence of concentrated mass-spring-damper vibration absorber. The nonlinear partial differential equations of motion are derived
by considering von Karman-type large deformations and viscoelastic behaviour. Fluid-structure interaction is modelled by using an acceleration coupling model in which a nonlinear Van der Pol oscillator simulates fluctuating nature
of the vortex street. The nonlinear equations are discretized via the Galerkin approach, and the obtained equations
are numerically solved by applying the Runge–Kutta method. Eventually, the dynamic response, phase plane plots,
and variations of maximum amplitude in terms of fluid velocity for different parameters are extracted. The results
reveal that utilizing vibration absorber leads to a significant effect on the dynamic characteristics of the system, displaces the lock-in phenomenon, and remarkably reduce the amplitude of the system oscillations.
1. Besem, F.M., Kamrass, J.D., Thomas, J.P., Tang, D., and Kielb, R.E. (2016). Vortex-induced vibration and frequency lock-in of an airfoil at high angles of attack. Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 138,12-34.
2. Purohit, A., Darpe, A.K., Singh, S. (2016). Experimental investigations on flow-induced vibration of an externally excited flexible plate. Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 371, 237-251.
3. Rose, J.B.R., and Jinu, G. (2016). Influence of aeroelastic flow-induced oscillations on the fatigue life of an airplane wing structure. International Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, vol. 25, 199- 216.
4. Liangjie, M., Qingyou, L., Shouwei, Z., JIANG, W., Zhengli, L., and Tao, P. (2015). Vortex-induced vibration mechanism of drilling riser under shear flow. Petroleum Exploration and Development, vol. 42, 112-118.
5. Song, L., Fu, S., Cao, J., Ma, L., and Wu, J. (2016). An investigation into the hydrodynamics of a flexible riser undergoing vortex-induced vibration. Journal of Fluids and Structures, vol. 63, 325-350.
6. Lu, Z., Fu, S., Zhang, M., and Ren, H. (2019). An efficient time-domain prediction model for vortex-induced vibration of flexible risers under unsteady flows. Marine Structures, vol. 64, 492-519.
7. Zhang, M., Fu, S., Song, L., Tang, X., and He, Y. (2018). A time domain prediction method for the vortex-induced vibrations of a flexible riser. Marine Structure, vol. 458, 59-81.
8. Tatiana, P., Dario, B., and Gianmarco, V. (2018). Vibration analysis for the comfort assessment of a superyacht under hydrodynamic loads due to mechanical propulsion. Ocean Engineering, vol. 155, 310-323.
9. Jamshidi-Naeini, Y., Bavil, A.K., Egal, A., and Oldewage-Theron, W. (2019). Hemoglobin and ferritin concentrations are positively associated with blood pressure and hypertension risk in older adults: a retrospective cross-sectional study, Sharpeville, South Africa. Asia Pacific journal of clinical nutrition.vol. 28, no. 3, 533.
10. Estlack, Z., Bavil, A.K., Kim, J.(2020). Design, Fabrication. Biomimetic Microengineering, CRC publication, vol. 16, 141.
11. Wang, J., Fu, S., Baarholm, R., Wu, J., and Larsen, C.M. (2015). Fatigue damage induced by vortex-induced vibrations in oscillatory flow. Marine Structures, vol. 40, 73-91.
12. Han, Q., Ma, Y., Xu, W., and Zhang, S. (2018). An experimental study on the hydrodynamic features of two side-by-side flexible cylinders undergoing flow-induced vibrations in a uniform flow. Marine Structures, vol. 61, 326-342.
13. Bavil, A. K., & Razavi, S. E. (2017). On the thermo-flow behavior in a rectangular channel with skewed circular ribs. Mechanics & Industry, 18(2), 225.
14. Xu, W., Cheng, A., Ma, Y., and Gao, X. (2018). Multimode flow-induced vibrations of two side-by-side slender flexible cylinders in a uniform flow. Marine Structures, vol. 57, 219-236.
15. Tan, J., Jiang, J., Liu, M., Feng, Q., Zhang, P., and Ho, S.C.M. (2019). Implementation of Shape Memory Alloy Sponge as Energy Dissipating Material on Pounding Tuned Mass Damper: An Experimental Investigation. Appl. Sci, vol. 9, 1079.
16. Wu, X., Ge, F., and Hong, Y. (2012). A review of recent studies on vortex-induced vibrations of long slender cylinders. Journal of Fluids and Structures, vol. 28, 292-308.
17. Kasiri Ghahi, M., and Sanaeirad, A. (2018). Vibration design for horseshoe shaped tunnel by Abaqus software, Uct Journal of Research in 17 Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 02, 7-12.
18. Bourguet, R., Karniadakis, G.E., and Triantafyllou, M.S. (2011). Lock-in of the vortex-induced vibrations of a long tensioned beam in shear flow. Journal of Fluids and Structures, vol. 27, 838-847.
19. Bourguet, R., Karniadakis, G.E., and Triantafyllou, M.S. (2013). Multi-frequency vortex-induced vibrations of a long tensioned beam in linear and exponential shear flows. Journal of Fluids and Structures, vol. 41, 33-42.
20. Bourguet, R., Karniadakis, G.E., and Triantafyllou, M.S. (2013). Phasing mechanisms between the inline and cross-flow vortex-induced vibrations of a long tensioned beam in shear flow. Computers & Structures, vol. 122, 155-163.
21. Daniels, S.J., Castro, I.P., and Xie, Z.T. (2016). Numerical analysis of freestream turbulence effects on the vortex-induced vibrations of a rectangular cylinder. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 153, 13-25.
22. Marra, A.M., Mannini, C., and Bartoli, G. (2015). Measurements and improved model of vortex-induced vibration for an elongated rectangular cylinder. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 147, 358-367.
23. Han, X., Lin, W., Tang, Y., Zhao, C., and Sammut, K. (2015). Effects of natural frequency ratio on vortex-induced vibration of a cylindrical structure. Computers & Fluids, vol. 110, 62-76.
24. Jiang, X., Andreopoulos, Y., Lee, T., and Wang, Z. (2016). Numerical investigations on the vortex-induced vibration of moving square cylinder by using incompressible lattice Boltzmann method. Computers & Fluids, vol. 24, 270-277.
25. Wang, W., Wang, X., Hua, X., Song, G., and Chen, Z. (2018). Vibration control of vortex-induced vibrations of a bridge deck by a single-side pounding tuned mass damper. Engineering Structures, vol. 173, 61-75.
26. Chen, J.E., He. W., Zhang, W., Yao, M.H., Liu, J., and Sun, M. (2018). Vibration suppression and higher branch responses of beam with parallel nonlinear energy sinks. Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 91, 885-904.
27. Tatiana, P., Dario, B. (2017). Developments of Tuned Mass Damper for yacht structures. Ocean Engineering, vol. 141, 249-264.
28. Facchinetti, M.L., De Langre, E., and Biolley, F. (2020). Coupling of structure and wake oscillators in vortex-induced vibrations. Journal of Fluids and structures, vol. 19, 123-140.
29. Keber, M., and Wiercigroch, M.(2018). Dynamics of a vertical riser with weak structural nonlinearity excited by wakes. Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 315, 685-699.
30. Chen, S.S. (1996). Flow-induced vibration of circular cylindrical structures. Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States).
31. Rossi, R.E., Laura, P.A.A., Avalos, D.R., and Larrondo, H. (2013). Free Vibrations of Timoshenko Beams Carrying Elastically Mounted, Concentrated Masses. Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 165, 209-223.