This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 19 article 849 pages: 749-755
This article defines the effect of temperature on some engineering and consolidation properties of soft soil. The purpose
of this research, therefore, was to determine the technical characteristics of soft clay consolidation behavior,
specifically in terms of temperature influence on varying values of soil established mechanical parameters, including
soft soil compression index (Cc), swelling index (Cs), volume change coefficient (mv), consolidation coefficient (Cv),
and the permeability coefficient (k). In this analysis, the use of soft clay in an undisturbed condition was sourced from
a swampy location in South Kalimantan Province, Indonesia. Also, the temperatures applied to the specimens were
22oC, 40oC, 60oC, and 70oC. The results showed the influence of temperature modifications on soil compressibility,
where extensive heat was responsible for abundant soil compressibility. In addition, the associated parameters,
termed soil compression index value (Cc), consolidation coefficient (Cv), and the swelling index (Cs), observed an
increase by 3%, 33%, and 22%, respectively. Furthermore, existence of high temperatures limited the unstable soil
volume, where the volume change coefficient (mV) tends to decrease by 3%. Also, varying temperatures essentially
altered soil permeability, where the seepage properties of soft clay showed the tendency to increase by 32%, with
rising soil temperature.
The author is grateful to Lambung Mangkurat University
through the Institute for Research and Community Service
for the support and funding towards implementing
this research for the 2020 Fiscal Year.
1. Holtz and Kovacs. (1981). An Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering, Transportation Research Board, Highway Capacity Manual 6thEdition, Prentice- Hall, Incorporated Route 9W Englewood Cliffs, NJ USA 07632
2. Davies, T. G. and Banerjee, P. K. (1980). Constitutive relationships for ocean sediments subjected to stress and temperature gradients. Report UKAEA/2/80, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, University College, Cardiff.
3. Abuel Naga H.M., Bergado D.T., Soralump S., Rujivipat P. (2005). Thermal Consolidation Of Soft Bangkok Clay, LOWLAND TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL, Vol.7 No.1, 13-21, Juni 2005, International Association Of Lowland Technology (IALT), ISSN 1344-9656
4. Slegel, D. L. and Davis, L. R. (1977). Transient heat and mass transfer in soils in the vicinity of heated porous pipes. Journal of Heat Transfer, 99: 541-621.
5. Moritz, L. (1995). Geotechnical properties of clay at elevated tempera- tures. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Compres- sion and Consolidation of Clayey Soils (IS-Hiroshima’s 95), Hiroshima, vol. 1, pp. 267–272.
6. Mon Ei Ei, Hamamoto A. Kawamoto K., Komatsu T, and Moldrup P. (2013). Temperature Effect on Geotechnical Properties of Kaolin Clay: Simultaneous Measurement of Consolidation Characteristics, Shear Stiffness, and Permeability Using a Modified Oedometer, GSTF International Journal of Geological Sciences (JGS), Vol.1, No.1, April 2013.
7. Burghignoli A, Desideri A, Miliziano S. A. (2000). Laboratory study on the thermomechanical behaviour of clayey soils. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 37 (4): 764-780.
8. Baldi, G., Hueckel, T., and Pellegrini, R. (1988). Thermal volume changes of the mineral–water system in low-porosity clay soils. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 25: 807–825.
9. Romero E, Gens A, Lloret A. (2001). Temperature effects on the hydraulic behaviour of an unsaturated clay. Geotechnical & Geological Engineering ;19(3e4):311e32.
10. Sridhan, A. and Venkatappa Rao, G. (1973). Mechanism controlling volume change of saturated clays and the role of the effective stress concept. Geotechnique. 23:359-382.
11. E. W. Gadzama., I. Nuhu., P. Yohanna. (2017). Influence of Temperature on the Engineering Properties of Selected Tropical Black Clays., Arab J Sci Eng (2017) 42:3829–3838 DOI 10.1007/s13369-017- 2485-3
12. Laloui, L. (2001). Thermo-mechanical behavior of soils. Revue Française de Génie Civil. 5(6): 809-843.
13. Tsutsumi, A., Tanaka, H. (2011). Compressive behavior during the transition of strain rate. Soils and Foundations 51 (5), 813–822, Science Direct, ELSEVIER
14. Towhata I, Kuntiwattanakul P, Seko I, Ohishi K. (1993). Volume change of clays induced by heating as observed in consolidation tests. Soils and Foundations ;33(4): 170e83.
15. Abdel-Hadi, O. N. and Mitchell, J. K. (1981). Coupled heat and water flows around buried cables. Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division, ASCE. 107(11): 1461-1487.
16. Donna, (2006). Perilaku Api dan Dampak Pembakaran terhadap Fauna Tanah pada Areal Penyiapan Lahan di Hutan Sekunder Haurbentes, Jasinga, Jawa Barat, Karya Ilmiah, Fakultas Kehutanan, Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB)
17. C. C. Goodman F. Vahedifard. (2019). Micro-scale characterisation of clay at elevated temperatures. Géotechnique Letters 9:3, 225-230. DOI:10.1680/ jgele.19.00026.
18. C. Zhou, C. W. W. Ng. (2018). A new thermo-mechanical model for structured soil, Géotechnique Vol.68, pp.1109-1115, DOI:10.1680/jgeot.17.T.031
19. Ng, C.W.W. & Cheng, Qing & Zhou, Chao. (2018). Thermal effects on yielding and wetting-induced collapse of recompacted and intact loess. Canadian Geotechnical Journal. 55(8):1095-1103. DOI: 10.1139/cgj-2017-0332
20. Shahriar Shahrokhabadi, Toan Duc Cao Farshid, Vahedifard. (2020). Thermo‐hydro‐mechanical modeling of unsaturated soils using isogeometric analysis: Model development and application to strain localization simulation. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 44:2,261-292. DOI:10.1002/nag.3015
21. Zhu Q-Y, Jin Y-F, Shang X-Y, Chen T. (2019). A 1D model considering the combined effect of strainrate and temperature for soft soil. Geomechanics and Engineering 10;18(2):133–40. DOI:10.12989/ GAE.2019.18.2.133
22. Ng, C.W.W., Mu, Q.Y. and Zhou, C. (2019). Effects of specimen preparation method on the volume change of clay under cyclic thermal loads, Geotechnique, 69(2), 146-150. DOI:10.1680/jgeot.16.p.293.
23. Ng, C.W.W., Akinniyi, D.B. & Zhou, C. (2021). Volume change behaviour of a saturated lateritic clay under thermal cycles. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and Environment 80, 653–661. https://doi. org/10.1007/s10064-020-01899-4
24. Farshid Vahedifard, Sannith Kumar Thota, Toan Duc Cao, Radhavi Abeysiridara Samarakoon, John S. McCartney. (2020). Temperature-Dependent Model for Small-Strain Shear Modulus of Unsaturated Soils, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, DOI:10.1061/(ASCE) GT.19435606.0002406, 146, 12, (04020136).
25. Vahedifard F, Cao TC, Thota SK, Ghazanfari E. (2018). Nonisothermal models for soil water retention curve. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE. ;144(9):04018061. DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001939