This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 19 article 855 pages: 806-812
The development of telehealth technology in monitoring systems has been widely used to support applications in
the health sector. The aim is to provide easy access for the people. One of the implications is a real-time monitoring
system based on the Internet of Things (IoT) platform. Some health vital signs that focus on observation are electrocardiogram
(ECG) signal, oxygen saturation, blood pressure, and heart rate, providing heart health information. In
this study, an integrated system has been implemented, namely a vital sign distributed monitoring system through
the internet network. The implemented system was able to acquire vital signs then send data to the internet cloud to
be stored and processed further for real-time monitoring needs by interested parties. An Android-based application
called iHealthVitalSign monitor can send, process, and represent data in numerical and graphical forms. The average
delay for each packet delivery was 154.73 ms and complied with the ITU-T recommendations for real-time data
transfer. Heart rate (HR)detection algorithms have been evaluated on real-time ECG signals.From the test results for
more than 2100 beats, the average detection accuracy is 98.78%.With this proposed application, it is hoped that it
can increase the penetration of telehealth services.
We would like to thank the Ministry of Research, Technology
and Higher Education of the Republic of Indonesia,
who has give us financial support through Penelitian
Strategis Nasional Institusi scheme. Also for Telkom
University for giving us full technical support through the
laboratory and the research center.
1. Dinesen, B., et al..(2016). “Personalized telehealth in the future: A global research agenda,” J. Med. Internet Res., vol. 18, no. 3, 1–17.
2. Sundmaeker, H., De Saint-exupéry, A. (2010). Vision and Challenges for Realising the Internet of Things, no. March.
3. Gia, T. N., Thanigaivelan, N. K., Rahmani, A.M., Westerlund, T., Liljeberg, P., Tenhunen, H. (2015). Customizing 6LOWPAN networks towards internet-of-things based ubiquitous healthcare systems. NORCHIP 2014-32nd NORCHIP Conference: The Nordic Microelectronics Event. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engi-neers Inc.
4. Komala, K., Kurian, M. Z., Shivannavar, Ashwini, S. (2009). Real time access & control of ECG signals using lab view based web browser. International Conference on Anti-counterfeiting, Security, and Identification in Communication.
5. Chai, J. (2013). The design of mobile ECG monitoring system. ICEIEC 2013 - Proceedings of 2013 IEEE 4th International Conference on Electronics Information and Emergency Communication, pp. 148–151.
6. Arun, C. S., Alexander, A. (2017). Mobile ECG monitoring device using wearable non contact armband. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies, ICCPCT 2017, pp. 4–7.
7. Shi, H., Haoren Wang, Huang, Y., Zhang, Y., Liu, C. (2017). A Mobile Intelligent ECG Monitoring System Based on IOS. 2017 International Conference on Sensing, Diagnostics, Prognostics, and Control, pp. 149–153.
8. Ai, Z., Zheng, L., Qi, H., Cui, W. (2018). Low-Power Wireless Wearable ECG Monitoring System Based on BMD101. Proceedings of the 2018 37th Chinese Control Conference (CCC), Wuhan, China, 25–27 July 2018, pp. 7374–7379.
9. Mohammed, J., Lung, C.H, Ocneanu, A., Thakral, A., Jones, C., Adler, A. (2014). Internet of things: Remote patient monitoring using web services and cloud computing. In Proceedings - 2014 IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things, iThings 2014, 2014 IEEE International Conference on Green Computing and Communications, GreenCom 2014 and 2014 IEEE International Conference on Cyber-Physical-Social Computing, CPS 2014, pp. 256–263.
10. KIM, B. J., NOH, Y. H., JEONG, D. H. (2013) Implementation of Mobile based Multi-Function Health Monitoring System. In: Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on IT Convergence and Security, Macao, December 2013. Piscataway, New Jersey: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, pp. 1-4.
11. Ungson, Y., Reyna, M. A., Bravo-Zanoguera, M. E. (2014). Desarrollo de un sistema de ECG ambulatorio basado en Arduino y telefonía móvil para transmisión inalámbrica. Pan American Health Care Exchanges, PAHCE.
12. Trivedi, S., Cheeran, A. N. (2017). Android based health parameter monitoring. Proceedings of the 2017 International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Control Systems, ICICCS 2017, pp. 1145–1149.
13. Wannenburg J., Malekian, R. (2015). Body Sensor Network for Mobile Health Monitoring, a Diagnosis and Anticipating System. IEEE Sens. J., vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 6839–6852.
14. Harmah, D. J., Kathirvelu, D. (2013). An ubiquitous miniaturized android based ECG monitoring system. 2013 Internation Conference on Emerging Trends in Computing,Communication and Nanotechnology (ICE-CCN), pp. 117–120.
15. Hadiyoso, S., Usman, K., Rizal, A. (2015). Arrhythmia Detection Based on ECG Signal Using Android Mobile for Athlete and Patient. International Conference on Information and Communication Technology (ICoICT) Arrhythmia, pp. 166–171.
16. Mena, L. J., et al. (2018). Mobile Personal Health Monitoring for Automated Classification of Electrocardiogram Signals in Elderly. Comput. Math. Methods Med., vol. 2018, pp. 1–9.
17. Sukanesh, R., Veluchamy, S., Karthikeyan, M. (2014). A Portable Wireless ECG Monitoring System using GSM Technique with Real Time Detection of Beat Abnormalities. Int. J. Eng. Res., vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 108–111.
18. Bazi, Y., Al Rahhal, M. M., Alhichri, H., Ammour, N., Alajlan, N., Zuair, M. (2020). Real-Time Mobile-Based Electrocardiogram System for Remote Monitoring of Patients with Cardiac Arrhythmias. Int. J. Pattern Recognit. Artif. Intell., vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 1–24.
19. Rizal, A., Suryani, V., Jondri, Hadiyoso, S. (2014). Development of Wireless Patient’s Vital Sign Monitor Using Wireless LAN (IEEE.802.11.b/g) Protocol. nt. J. Electr. Comput. Eng., vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 893–901.
20. Fikar, A. R., Rahman, A., Rizal, A., Hadiyoso, S., Jondri. (2014). PC Based Wireless Vital Sign Monitor Using Zigbee Communication. The 15th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, pp. 904–907.
21. Hadiyoso, S., Aulia, S. (2014). Multipoint to Point EKG Monitoring Berbasis ZigBee. Seminar Nasional Aplikasi Teknologi Informasi (SNATI), pp. 35–39.
22. Pan, J., Willis, J. (1985). A Real-Time QRS Detection Algorithm. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., vol. BME-32, no. 3, pp. 230–236.