This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 19 article 865 pages: 880-885
The present work focuses on various vibro-acoustic signals techniques that can monitor malfunctions in Internal Combustion Engines (ICEs). Recent works by other authors have focused on various reciprocating machines including compressors no attempts has been deal with IC engines. This paper gives a summary of the generation mechanism of sound and vibration in Engines. An overview of the monitoring and diagnostic techniques base on noise, pressure an vibration signatures is also discussed. Various fault conditions are described which affect ICEs. Measuring of acoustic signals has non-intrusive behavior with capability of detecting airborne transmission paths faults. In view of industrial needs to reduce the maintenance costs monitoring of vehicle operations, the present work can be a useful guide for engineers for understanding types of faults so as sufficient time is obtained to process reliable and information.
1. Kaisan Muhammad Usman, Yusuf Latifat Ovaiyoza, Ibrahim Ibrahim Umar, abubakar Shitu, and Narayan Sunny. (2020). Effects of Propanol and Camphor Blended with Gasoline Fuel on the Performance and Emissions of a Spark Ignition Engine, ACS Omega, Vol. 5, No.41, 26454−26462
2. Sheng, G.(2012).Vehicle noise sound vibration and sound quality, SAE international, Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA, ISBN- 978-0-7680-3484-4
3. Hambric et al.(2016).Engineering vibroacoustic analysis: methods and applications, ISBN: 978-1-119-95344-9.
4. Nuawi et al.(2013). Time Domain Analysis Method of the Impulse Vibro-acoustic Signal for Fatigue Strength Characterization of Metallic Material, Procedia Engineering, Volume 66,539-548.
5. S.Delvecchioa, P.Bonfigliob, F.Pompol.(2018).Vibro-acoustic condition monitoring of Internal Combustion Engines: A critical review of existing techniques, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 99, 661-683.
6. Philippe Duffour.(2006).A study of the vibro-acoustic modulation technique for the detection of cracks in metals, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 119, 1463
7. Creixell Mediante, Ester.(2018).Computational reduction techniques for numerical vibro-acoustic analysis of hearing aids. Technical University of Denmark, Department of Electrical Engineering, 176.
8. Aymerich et al.(2010). Experimental Study of Impact-Damage Detection in Composite Laminates using a Cross-Modulation Vibro-Acoustic Technique, Volume 9, Issue 6, 541-553.
9. Trochidis et al.(2014).Analysis of Vibroacoustic Modulations for Crack Detection: A Time-Frequency Approach Based on Zhao-Atlas-Marks Distribution, Shock and Vibration Volume 2014, Article ID 102157, 8 pages, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/102157.
10. Urban MW, Alizad A, Aquino W, Greenleaf JF, Fatemi M.(2011). A Review of Vibro-acoustography and its Applications in Medicine, Current Medical Imaging Review, Volume 7, Issue 4, 350-359.
11. Jun Jia.(2017). Analysis of load effect on nonlinear vibro-acoustic modulation used in on-line monitoring of fatigue cracks, Smart Materials and Structures, Volume 26, Number 9.
12. Ahmaida, Anwar M.(2018). Condition Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis of a Multi-Stage Gear Transmission Using Vibro-acoustic Signals, Doctoral thesis,University of Huddersfield.
13. Yue Wang, Di Wu, Lei Wang, Xiaojun Wang.(2018). Statistical energy analysis for vibro-acoustic coupled system with fuzzy parameters, Engineering Computations, Volume 35, Issue 2, 565-579.
14. Jarosław Gorski et al.(2019). Use of Cutting Force and Vibro-acoustic Signals in Tool Wear Monitoring Based on Multiple Regression Technique for Compreg Milling, Bioresources, Vol.14, No2
15. Hipol, Philip J.(1989). Finite Element Prediction of Vibro-Acoustic Environments, SAE Transactions, Volume 98, 1881–1889.
16. Mohanty et al.(2015). User Identification of Keystroke Biometric Patterns with the Cognitive RAM Weightless Neural Net, Advances in machine learning and signal processing, Proceedings of MALSIP, Springer International
17. Yong Cheng, Juan Tang, Shaobo Ji, Minli Huang.(2012). Combustion timing determination based on vibration velocity in HCCI engines, Mechanism and Machine Theory, Volume 58, 20-28.
18. Brian Dykas, James Harris.(2017). Acoustic emission characteristics of a single cylinder diesel generator at various loads and with a failing injector, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 93,397-414.
19. Jung, I., Jin, J., So, H., and Nam, C., 2013,An advanced method for developing combustion noise through the analysis of diesel combustion, SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1901.
20. Andersson,I.,McKelvey,T., Larsson,M.(2009). Combustion parameters estimation and control using vibration signal : application to the diesel HCCI engine, Proceedings of the IEEE conference on decision and control.
21. He, Z., Xie,W.,Zhang,G.,Hong,Z.,Zhang,J.(2014). Piston dynamic characteristics analyses based on FEM method Part I: effected by piston skirt parameters , Advances in Engineering Software, Vol 75, 68–85.
22. Dolatabadi et al.(2015).On identification of piston slap events in internal combustion engines using tribo dynamic analysis, Mechanical Systems and signal processing, Vol 58-59, 308-324.
23. Mohd Ripin, Z., and Chong Tan,Y.(2013). Analysis of piston secondary motion, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol 332,5162–5176
24. Justin Flett, Gary M. Bone.(2016). Fault detection and diagnosis of diesel engine valve trains,Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 72-73, 316-327.
25. Narayan, S.(2014). A review of diesel engine acoustics, FME Transactions, Vol. 42, No. 2, 150-154
26. Narayan Sunny.(2015). Correlation between in cylinder pressure and noise emissions from engines, Journal of Kones power train and Transport, Vol. 22, No. 1, 243-254.
27. Mahroogi, F.O., Narayan, S., Gupta, V.(2018). Acoustic transfer function in gasoline engines, International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration, Vol. 14, No. 3, 270-280.
28. Narayan, S., Gupta, V.(2018).Numerical analysis of secondary motion of piston skirt in engines, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibrations, Vol. 23, No. 4, 557-565.
29. Narayan, S.(2015). Piston slap noise in engines,International Journal of Applied Engineering Research,Vol. 8, No. 14,1695-1700.
30. Narayan,S.(2015).Analysis of Piston Slap Motion, IJAME, Vol. 20, No. 2, 445–450.
31. Narayan, S.(2015). Modeling of Noise Radiated from Engines, SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0107.
32. Kaisan M.U., Abubakar S., Ashok B., Balasubramanian Dhinesh, Narayan S., Grujic Ivan& Stojanovic Nadica.(2018). Comparative analyses of biodiesel produced from jatropha and neem seed oil using a gas chromatography–mass spectroscopy technique, Biofuels, Taylor and Francis, DOI: 10.1080/17597269.2018.1537206.
33. Mahroogi Faisal O., Narayan S.(2020). A recent review of hybrid automotive systems in Gulf Corporation Council (GCC) region, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile, SAGE Publications, Volume 233,No.14, 3579-3587. DOI:10.1177/0954407019836055
34. Narayan S.(2019). Combustion monitoring in engines using accelerometer signals, Journal of Vibro- engineering, Vol. 21, No. 6, 1552-1563.
35. Narayan S.(2013). Wavelet analysis of diesel engine noise, Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 8,255-259., DOI:10.3923/jeasci.2013.255.259
36. Narayan Sunny.(2013). Piston Slap Noise in engines, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 8, No.14,1695-1700.
37. Narayan Sunny.(2013). Effect of dwell time on noise radiated from diesel engine, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 8, No. 11, 1339-1347.
38. Alsagri Ali Sulaiman, Gupta Vipul, Narayan S.(2018).Design and analysis of hybrid automotive suspensionsystem, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development (IJMPERD), Vol. 9, No. 4, 637-642.
39. Alsagri Ali Sulaiman, Mahroogi Faisal O., Narayan S.(2018). Design and analysis of Double Wishbone suspension systems for automotive applications, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development (IJMPERD), Vol. 9, No. 4, 1433–1442.
40. Narayan S.(2015). Analysis of noise emitted from diesel engines. Journal of Physics Conference Series 12/2015;662(1):012018., DOI:10.1088/1742659 6/662/1/012018.
41. Mahroogi Faisal O., Narayan S.(2019). Dynamic- analysis-of-piston-secondary-motion-using FEM method, Proceedings of the 26th International Congress on Sound and Vibration, Montreal bridges, ISSN 2329-3675, ISBN 978-1-9991810-0-0.
42. Narayan S.(2015). Effects of Various Parameterson Piston Secondary Motion, SAE Technical Paper2015-01-0709.
43. Grujic, I., Stojanovic, N., Pesic, R., Davinic, A., Narayan, S.(2020).Numerical analysis of IC engine operation with high-pressure hydrogen injection, Transactions of FAMENA, Vol.44, No. 1, 55-66.
44. Abubakar, S., Anafi F.O., Kaisan, M.U., Umar, S., Umar, U.A.(2020). Comparative analyses of experimental and simulated performance of a mixed-mode solar dryer, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 234,No.7, 1393-1402.
45. Stojanovic, N., Ghazaly, N.M., Grujic, I., Glisovic, J., Narayan, S.(2020). Influence of size of ventilated brake disc’s ribs on air flow velocity, International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, Vol.29, No.1, 637-647.