This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 19 article 890 pages: 1090-1098
A lightweight sandwich plate system (SPS) consisted of steel faceplate and polyurethane elastomer composite cores
have excellent potential to be applied on the ship structure. Steel faceplate and polyurethane elastomer (PU) cores
are frequently applied, but PU has a relatively high material cost. More economical material can be achieved by
combining PU with fiberglass as a fiberglass reinforced polyurethane elastomer (FRPU) composite. In this study, the
sandwich consisting of steel faceplate and FRPU composite core material is applied in the tanker side hull by investigating
the structural performance and weight saving analysis using finite element analysis (FEA). Four sandwich
side hull models using different stiffener configurations are compared with the conventional stiffened plate model.
The results show the promising SPS application on structural strength and weight reduction. The remarkable stress
reduction, deformation, and structural weight reduction due to SPS application are discussed. Therefore, its weight
reduction can increase the ship payload so that ship operations will be cost-effective.
The research leading to these results has received financial
support from the Master towards Doctoral Education
Program for Excellent Graduate (PMDSU) of the Ministry
of Education and Culture of The Republic of Indonesia
with contract number 3/AMD/E1/KP.PTNBH/2020.
1. Tuswan, Zubaydi, A., Piscesa, B., Ismail, A. (2020). Influence of application of sandwich panel on static and dynamic behaviour of ferry ro-ro ramp door. Journal of Applied Engineering Science. (in press)
2. Ramakrishnan, K.V., Kumar D.P.G. (2016). Applications of sandwich plate system for ship structures. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE), 83-90.
3. Yang, J.-S., Ma, L., Schmidt, R., Qi, G., Schröder, K.-U., Xiong, J., Wu, L.-Z. (2016). Hybrid lightweight composite pyramidal truss sandwich panels with high damping and stiffness efficiency. Composite Structures, vol. 148, 85–96, DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.03.056
4. Zhang, X., Zhou, H., Shi, W., Zeng, F., Zeng, H., Chen, G. (2018). Vibration tests of 3D printed satellite structure made of lattice sandwich panels. AIAA Journal, 1–5, DOI: 10.2514/1.j057241
5. Li, C., Shen, H.-S., Wang, H. (2019). Nonlinear bending of sandwich beams with functionally graded negative Poisson’s ratio honeycomb core. Composite Structures vol. 212, 317-325. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2019.01.020
6. Ismail, A., Zubaydi, A., Budipriyanto, A., Yudiono. (2018). Damage identification of the sandwich plate having core from rice husk-epoxy for ship deck structure. The 3rd International Conference on Marine Technology, p. 112–118. DOI: 10.5220/0008543301120118
7. Arianto, P.Y., Zubaydi, A., Piscesa, B., Tuswan. (2019). Experimental and numerical bending analysis of steel/resin-talk sandwich material. IPTEK The Journal for Technology and Science, vol. 30, no. 3, 123-128, DOI: 10.12962/j20882033.v30i3.5496
8. Ardhyananta, H., Sari, E.N., Wicaksono, S.T., Ismail, H., Tuswan, Ismail, A. (2019). Characterization of vinyl ester bio-resin for core material sandwich panel construction of ship structure application: Effect of palm oil and sesame oil. AIP Conference Proceedings, p. 1-5, DOI: 10.1063/1.5141664
9. Tuswan, Zubaydi, A., Piscesa, B., Sari, E.N., Ismail, A. (2020). Core sandwich material development based on vinyl ester bioresin for ship structure application. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. (in press)
10. Tuswan, Abdullah, K., Zubaydi, A., Budipriyanto, A. (2019). Finite-element analysis for structural strength assessment of marine sandwich material on ship side-shell structure. Materials Today: Proceedings, vol. 13, no. 1, p. 109–11, DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2019.03.197
11. Tuswan, Zubaydi, A., Budipriyanto, A., Sujiatanti, S.H. (2018). Comparative study on ferry ro-ro’s car deck structural strength by means of application of sandwich materials. The 3rd International Conference on Marine Technology, vol. 1, p. 87-96, DOI:10.5220/0008542800870096
12. Ismail, A., Zubaydi, A., Piscesa, B., Ariesta, R.C., Tuswan. (2020). Vibration-based damage identification for ship sandwich plate using finite element method. Open Engineering, vol. 10, 744–752, DOI: 10.1515/eng-2020-0086
13. Yazici, M., Wright, J., Bertin, D., Shukla, A. (2014). Experimental and numerical study of foam filled corrugated core steel sandwich structures subjected to blast loading. Composite Structures, vol. 110, 98–109. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2013.11.016
14. Shan, C., Yi, Y. (2016). Stress concentration analysis of an orthotropic sandwich bridge deck under wheel loading. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, vol. 122, 488–494. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.04.011
15. Brooking, M., Kennedy, S. (2004). The performance, safety and production benefits of SPS structures for double hull tankers. Proceedings of the RINA Conference on Double Hull Tankers.
16. Lloyd’s Register (2020). Rules for the application of sandwich panel construction to ship structure. Lloyd’s Register Group Limited, London.
17. Ismail, A., Zubaydi, A., Piscesa, B., Panangian, E., Ariesta, R.C., Tuswan. (2020). A strength analysis of conventional and sandwich plate deck using finite element method. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. (in press)
18. Ismail, A., Zubaydi, A., Piscesa, B., Panangian, E., Ariesta, R.C., Tuswan. (2020). A comparative study of conventional and sandwich plate side-shell using finite element method. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. (in press)
19. Sujiatanti, S.H., Zubaydi, A., Budipriyanto, A. (2018). Finite element analysis of ship deck sandwich panel. Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol. 874, 134–139, DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.874.134
20. Andric, J., Kitarovic, S., Radolovic, V., Prebeg, P. (2019). Structural analysis and design of a car carrier with composite sandwich deck panels. Ships and Offshore Structures, 1–16. DOI: 10.1080/17445302.2018.1564536
21. Tuswan, Zubaydi, A., Piscesa, B., Ismail, A. (2020). Dynamic characteristic of partially debonded sandwich of ferry ro-ro’s car deck: a numerical modelling. Open Engineering, vol. 10, 424-433, DOI: 10.1515/eng-2020-0051
22. Tuswan, Zubaydi, A., Piscesa, B., Ismail, A., Ilham, M.F. (2020). Free vibration analysis of interfacial debonded sandwich of ferry ro-ro’s stern ramp door. Procedia Structural Integrity, vol. 27, p. 22-29, DOI: 10.1016/j.prostr.2020.07.004
23. Momčilović, N., Motok, M. (2009). Estimation of ship lightweight reduction by means of application of sandwich plate system. FME Transactions, vol. 37, no. 3, 123–128.
24. International Association of Classification Societies (2012). Common structural rules for double hull oil tankers. International Association of Classification Societies, London.
25. Wang, I. T. (2014). Numerical and experimental verification of finite element mesh convergence under explosion loading. Journal of Vibroengineering, vol 16, 1786–1798
26. Kennedy, S. J., Bond, J., Braun, D., Noble, P. G., Forsyth, J. D. (2003). An innovative “no hot work” approach to hull repair on in-service FPSOs using sandwich plate system overlay. Offshore Technology Conference 15315.
27. Lloyd's Register (2014). Rules for the manufacture, testing and certification of materials. Lloyd's Register Group Limited, London.
28. Bureau Veritas (2019). Rules on materials and welding for the classification of marine units. Bureau Veritas, Paris.
29. De Freitas, S.T., Kolstein, H., & Bijlaard, F. (2010). Sandwich system for renovation of orthotropic steel bridge decks. Journal of Sandwich Structures & Materials, vol. 13, 279–301. DOI:10.1177/1099636210386848
30. Tomić, R., Petrović, P., Petrović, M. (2012). Contribution to the evaluation of the compliance for new products with aspect reliability and maintenance. Journal of Applied Engineering Science, vol. 10, 201-208.
31. Vladimirovna, T. P., Nikolaevna, M. U., Vladimirovich A. E., Mishchenko E., Nikolaevna O. A. (2020). Improving the reliability of durability prediction of building materials and structures as one of the factors of sustainable economic development. Journal of Applied Engineering Science, vol. 18, 463-466.
32. Trombeva-Gavriloska, A., Lazarevska, M., Cvetkovska, M. (2016). Experimental testing of composite sandwich panels with different face sheets. Journal of Applied Engineering Science, vol. 14, 163-168.