This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY 4.0
Volume 20 article 919 pages: 186-194
The quality of drinking water directly affects human health and life. This study is concerned with the assessment of the drinking water quality in the main cities of 14 Iraqi governorates for the years 2011 and 2017 based on the Iraqi Central Statistical Organization statistical data for nine parameters. The Canadian method was used to calculate the Water Quality Index. The results showed a slight difference with the preference for water quality for the year 2011. The water quality is ranked excellent depending on the minimum values of statistical data, good based on the average value of statistical data, and poor depending on the maximum values of statistical data. The most influential parameters for the deviation of the water quality index values are sulphate and turbidity, and the lowest are the pH and electrical conductivity. The study showed that the water quality index does not give a consistent trend of the water quality change during the years 2011 and 2017. Therefore, the study recommends the use of other advanced statistical methods for this purpose. The study showed that the statistical data give less accurate results than the results of the tests, but it gives a clear initial picture for the decision-makers when the study area is wide and the research team is not available and the time period is long.
I would like to thank the staff of the Central Bureau of Statistics for providing the necessary data.
1. Bouslah, S., Djemili, L., Houichi, L. (2017). Water quality index assessment of Koudiat Medouar Reservoir, northeast Algeria using weighted arithmetic index method. Journal of Water and Land Development, no. 35, 221–228, DOI: 10.1515/jwld-2017-0087.
2.Tyagi, S., Sharma, B., Singh, P., Dobhal, R. (2013). Water quality assessment in terms of water quality index. American Journal of Water Resources, vol. 1, no.3, 34– 38.
3. CIA (2014). The world factbook. Central Intelligence Agency, Retrieved: 08-10-2014.
4. Hung, D., Thi Cuc, V., Thi Bich, P. (2020). Evaluation of Drinking Water Quality in Schools in a District Area in Hanoi, Vietnam. Environmental Health Insights, vol.14, 1178630220959672.
5. Fadaei, A., & Sadeghi, M. (2014). Evaluation and assessment of drinking water quality in Shahrekord, Iran. Resources and Environment, vol.4, no. 3,168-172.
6. Mohsin, M., Safdar, S., Asghar, F., Jamal, F. (2013), Assessment of drinking water quality and its impact on residents' health in Bahawalpur city, International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, vol.3, no.15,114-128.
7. van Bussel, C., Schroeder, J., Wuertz, S., & Schulz, C. (2012). The chronic effect of nitrate on production performance and health status of juvenile turbot (Psetta maxima). Aquaculture, vol.326, 163-167.
8. Kazi, T., Arain, M., Jamali, M. (2009). Assessment of water quality of polluted lake using multivariate statistical techniques: A case study. Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, vol.72, no.2, 301-309.
9. Mădălina1 P., Gabriela B. (2014).'' Water Quality Index – An Instrument for Water Resources Management" Conference Paper · March 2014 DOI: 10.13140/2.1.3736.3203.
10. Teski, g. (2019). Water Shortage from http://www.teski.gov.tr. accessed on 2019-12-09.
11. Tokatlı, C., Köse, E., Çiçek, A. (2014). Assessment of the Effects of Large Borate Deposits on Surface Water Quality by Multi Statistical Approaches: A Case Study of the Seydisuyu Stream (Turkey). Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, vol.23, no.5, 1741-1751.
12. Tokatli, C., Esengül, K., Arslan, N., Emiroğlu, Ö., Çiçek, A., & Dayioğlu, H. (2016). Emet Çayi Su Kalitesinin Mevsimsel Değişimi. Uludağ University Journal of the Faculty of Engineering, vol.21 no.2, 9-24.
13. Köse, E., Tokatlı, C., Çiçek, A. (2014). Monitoring Stream Water Quality: A Statistical Evaluation. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, vol.23, no.5,1637-1647.
14. Köse, E., Çiçek, A., Uysal, K., Tokatlı, C., Emiroğlu, Ö., Arslan, N. (2016). Evaluation of Surface Water Quality in Porsuk Stream. University Journal of Science and Technology – C Life Sciences and Biotechnology, vol.4, no.2 , 81-93.
15. Tokatli C. (2019) . ''Water Quality Assessment of Yazır Pond (Tekirdağ, Turkey): An Application of Water Quality Index''. Research Journal of Biology Sciences , vol.12 ,no.1, 26-29. E-ISSN: 1308-0261
16. Diersing, N., Nancy, F. (2009). Water quality: Frequently asked questions. Florida Brooks National Marine Sanctuary, Key West, FL.
17. Acharya, S.,Shama S., Khandegar V. (2018) .“Assessment of groundwater quality by water quality indices for irrigation and drinking in South West Delhi, India” .Journal Data in Brief, Elsevier, vol. 18, ,2019-2028.
18. Ismail1 A., Robescu D. (2019). “Assessment of Water Quality of the Danube River using Water Quality Indices Technique”. Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, vol. 18, no. 8, 1727-1737, http://www.eemj.icpm.tuiasi.ro/; http://www.eemj.eu.
19. Şener, Ş., Şener, E., & Davraz, A. (2017). Evaluation of water quality using water quality index (WQI) method and GIS in Aksu River (SW-Turkey). Science of the Total Environment, vol.584, 131-144.
20. Tyagi ,S., Sharma ,B., Singh1 ,P. , Dobhal R. (2013) .“Water Quality Assessment in Terms of Water Quality Index,”. American Journal of Water Resources, vol. 1, no. 3, 34-38, available online at http://pubs.sciepub.com/ajwr/1/3/3 © Science and Education Publishing DOI:10.12691/ajwr-1-3-3.
21. Poonam ,T., Tanushree ,B., Sukalya ,C.(2013) .“Water Quality Indices-Important Tools for Water Quality assessment: A Review” .International Journal of Advances in Chemistry (IJAC) ,vol.1, no.1, November.
22. Ismaill, A., Robescu, D., Hameed, M. (2018). “Application of CCME WQI in the Assessment of the Water Quality of Danube River, Romania,”. Engineering and Technology Journal, vol. 36, Part C, no. 2, 142-146.
23. Central Statistical Organization. (2017) "Environmental Statistics for the year 2017", Ministry of Planning. Republic of Iraq.
24. Central Statistical Organization. (2011). "Environmental Statistics for the year 2011", Ministry of Planning. Republic of Iraq.
25. CCME. (2001) . “Canadian Water Quality Index 1.0” Technical report and user’s manual, Gatineau, QC: Canadian Council of Ministry of the Environment, Canadian Environmental Quality Guidelines, Water Quality Index Technical Subcommittee, pp 1-5.