AUTOMATED VISUAL FAULT INSPECTION OF OPTICAL ELEMENTS USING MACHINE VISION TECHNOLOGIES
Light-emitting diode (LED) lenses are one kind of common optical elements applied in many modern electronic devices. The LED lens with textured and uneven surface is hard to inspect appearance faults. This research suggests a wavelet packet transform-based partial least squares method to inspect visual faults of optical lenses with textured and uneven surfaces. Three major procedures are conducted to complete the process of fault detection. Firstly, a testing image is transformed to wavelet pack domain and the wavelet characteristics of the sub-band images are extracted. Secondly, the partial least squares scheme is used to multivariate transform with wavelet characteristics to obtain latent images. Thirdly, the latent images are fitted by a regression model to produce a predicted image. After comparing with the original image, we can obtain the residual image where the appearance faults have been separated. Thus, the intricate faults embedded in the complicated appearances of optical lenses could be precisely identified by the suggested method. The effectiveness and accuracy of the developed method are confirmed by expert assessments, as well as by comparative analysis with the known methods in the field of spatial localisations and classification effects of fault inspection.
This study was sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Technology of Taiwan under the grant No. MOST104-2221-E-324 -010.
1. Lin, H.D., Chiu, Y.P.,Lin, W.T. (2013). An innovative approach for detection of slight surface variations on capacitor chips.International Journal of Innovative Computing Information and Control, 9(5), 1835-1850.
2. Chiu, Y.P.,Lo, Y.C.,Lin, H.D. (2017). Hough transform based approach for surface distortion flaw detection on transparent glass. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, 12(19), 8150-8159.
3. Lin, H.D.,Chiu, Y.P. (2010).RBF network and EPC method applied to automated process regulations for passive components dicing. International Journal of Innovative Computing Information and Control, 6(11), 5077-5091.
4. Lin, H.D., Hsieh, K.S. (2018). Detection of surface variations on curved mirrors of vehicles using slight deviation control techniques.International Journal of Innovative Computing Information and Control, 14(4), 1407-1421.
5. Chiu, Y.P.,Lin, H.D. (2018).Creation of image models for inspecting visual flaws on capacitive touch screens. Journal of Applied Engineering Science, 16(3), 333-342.
5. Li, W.C., Tsai, D.M. (2012). Wavelet-based defect detection in solar wafer images with in homogeneous texture. Pattern Recognition, 45, 742-756.
6. Lin, H.D.,Ho, D.C. (2007). Detection of pinhole blemishes on chips and wafers using DCT enhancement in computer vision system.International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 34(5-6), 567-583.
7. Lin, H.D.,Chiu, S.W.(2011). Flaw detection of domed surfaces in LED packages by machine vision system. Expert Systems with Applications, 38(12),15208-15216.
8. Chiu, Y.P., Lin, H.D. (2013). An innovative blemish detection system for curved LED lenses.Expert Systems with Applications, 40(2), 471-479.
9. Mallat, S.G. (1989). A theory for multiresolution signal decomposition the wavelet representation. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 11(7), 674-693.
10. Amiri, G.G., Asadi, A. (2009). Comparison of different methods of wavelet and wavelet packet transform in processing ground motion ecords. International Journal of Civil Engineering, 7(4), 248-257.
11. Kim, S.C., Kang, T.J. (2007). Texture classification and segmentation using wavelet packet frame and Gaussian mixture model.Pattern Recognition, 40, 1207-1221.
12 Wold, H. (1966). Estimation of principal components and related models by iterative least squares. In: Krishnaiah, P. R., Ed., Multivariate Analysis II. Academic Press: New York, 391-420.
13. Geladi, P., Kowalski, B.R. (1986). Partial least squares regression: a tutorial. Analytica Chimica Acta, 185, 1-17.
14. Martens, H., Naes, T. (1992).Multivariate Calibration, 2nd. Edn, Wiley’s publisher, Chichester, 116-165.
15. Li, J., Rao, X., Ying, Y. (2011). Inspection and grading of surface defects of fruits by computer vision. Advanced Materials Research, 317-319, 956-961.
16. Lin, H.D.,Chen, H.L. (2018). Computer-aided industrial inspection of optical components using computer vision technologies. Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, & Pattern Recognition (IPCV 2018), p. 41-44.
17. Helland, I.S. (1990). Partial least squares regression and statistical models.Scandinavian Journal of Statistic, 17, 97-114.
18 Montgomery, D.C.,Runger, G.C. (2007).Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers. 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA.
19. Otsu, N. (1979). A threshold selection method from gray level histogram.IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 9, 62-66.