This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 terms and conditions.
Volume 16 article 530 pages: 274 - 280
Methods for correcting aberrations of images, obtained by an optoelectronic camera with the use of preliminary measured calibration function, provoke wide interest in recent years. For the most part these methods are not characterized by high accuracy and are typically used for cameras with objectives having rather high relative distortion. In this article the method is discussed for measuring distortion of a wide-angle objective for calibration of photoelectric cameras designed to measure angular coordinates of remote objects with the accuracy as high as 10 arcseconds. It is proposed to use an air mirror-wedge as a test object, which allows creating a sheaf of collimated beams. The calibration function of a photoelectric camera is calculated by mathematical post-processing of the recorded frames. The proposed method was experimentally tested for photoelectric cameras with full angular fields-of-view of 21 degrees and angular pixel sizes of 20 arcseconds. The subpixel accuracy of determining the calibration function is demonstrated.
This article has been prepared with the help of the financial support of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation. Agreement No.14.581.21.0018 dated 9 November 2015; Unique Identifier for the Applied Scientific Research and Development is RFMEFI58115X0018.
1. GOST 20825-75. Оbjectives for photography. Method of
measuring distortion. (1976), from http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200015646,
accessed on 2018-01-23.
2. Zhimbueva, L.D. (n.a.). Меthod of determination of summary distortion of digital images. Computer Optics, vol. 1, no. 3, 347-355.
3. Kozhin, A.V., Zavyazkin, V.F., Silant’eva, N.S. (2006). Method of determination of distortion of long-focus objectives. PatentRU No.2276778. JSC “Krasnogorsky Zavod”, Krasnogorsk, from http://www.freepatent.ru/patents/2276778, accessed on 2017-11-21.
4. Cattaneo, C., Mainetti, G., Sala, R. (2015). The importance of camera calibration and distortion correction to obtain measurements with video surveillance systems. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 658, no. 1, DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/658/1/012009, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284204844_The_Importance_of_Camera_Calibration_and_Distortion_Correction_to_Obtain_Measurements_with_Video_Surveillance_Systems?_sg=JohWRHlkQ8VHPkRhmh2JGXIcn4SadAHMBnCQkYizrrq-42ZAIlYi7S4Yk_e2oXDHaCifHMvfN7VzriY, accessed on 2017-12-20.
5. Reznicek, J. (2014). Method for measuring lens distortion by using pinhole lens. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, vol. XL-5, no. 5, 509-515, DOI: 10.5194/isprsarchives-XL-5-509-2014, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274676151_Method_for_Measuring_Lens_Distortion_by_Using_Pinhole_Lens?ev=publicSearchHeader&_sg=BiBS0s-MJKgrHbyy1XmfN6sTGI7wbu8QADfKwGcZ6lke9ZkgJALD-yGXc9gQxLbAeRaMQeKmUy3BI7dQ, accessed on 2017-12-25.
6. Cheng, T.-H. (2004). Method for calibration and correction of radial lens distortion, from https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2003043308A2, accessed on 2017-11-23.
7. Remondino, F., (2006). Digital camera calibration methods: considerations and comparisons. ISPRS Commission V Symposium “Image Engineering and Vision Metrology”, vol. XXXVI, part 5, p. 266-272, from http://close-range.com/docs/Digital_camera_calibration_methods_10.1.1.67.8805.pdf, accessed on 2017-11-24.
8. Lin, T.-W., Chang, C.-Y. (2009). Enhanced calibration method for camera distortion. ICCAS-SICE 2009, p. 1115-1120.
9. Souchard, C. (2011). Estimating and removing lens distortion from scenes. US 20070098296 A1, from http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fne t a h t m l % 2 F P T O % 2 F s r c h n u m . h t - m&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,912,317.PN.&OS=PN/7,91 2,317&RS=PN/7,912,317, accessed on 2018-04-11.
10. Tang, Zh., Grompone von Gioi, R., Monasse, P., Morel, J.-M. (2012). High-precision camera distortion measurements with a ”calibration harp”. Journal of the Optical Society of America, vol. 29, no. 10, 2134-2143, DOI: 10.1364/JOSAA.29.002134, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233827976_High-precision_camera_distortion_measurements_with_a_calibration_harp?_sg=ONonP9P_B-XjpJbe-DazL08dA7D-HsOT-uRnRFnFebvhqZXwYpEQBZKAE1FxH1u7LZ6WXmtkAvmCRxfQ, accessed on 2018-02-19.
11. Huang, C.-W., Chou, C.-M., Lin, T.-W., Chang, C.-Y. (2013). Adaptive calibration method for camera distortion. Journal of Vibration and Control, vol. 19, no. 1, 86-93, DOI: 10.1177/1077546311433915. 12. Villiers de, J.P., Leuschner, F.W., Geldenhuys, R. (2008). Centi-pixel accurate real-time inverse distortion correction. 2008 International Symposium on Optomechatronic Technologies. SPIE, DOI: 10.1117/12.804771, from http://researchspace.csir.co.za/dspace/bitstream/handle/10204/3168/De%20 Villiers_2008.pdf;jsessionid=8225D91FFB4F-83483F8EACBFAEC67031?sequence=1, accessed on 2018-03-09.
13. Wang, A., Qiu, T., Shao, L. (2009). A simple method of radial distortion correction with centre of distortion estimation. Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, vol. 35, no. 3, 165-172, DOI: 10.1007/s10851-009-0162-1, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220146291_A_Simple_Method_of_Radial_Distortion_Correction_with_Centre_of_Distortion_Estimation?ev=publicSearch-Header&_sg=ZC-yxkCHBQNdXXgFymjkD9hBVIuxYufw2EXynpu67xcaQF0ejjXNtANda4ii8bsctNicRg6nazNVasg, accessed on 2018-03-01. Aleksander Krotov - Method for measuring distortion in wide-angle video channels
14. Zhang, Z., Matsushita, Y., Ma, Y. (2014). Camera calibration with lens distortion from low-rank textures. Patent: US8818132B2, from http://perception.csl.illinois.edu/matrix-rank/Files/calibration.pdf, accessed on 2018-03-27.
15. Wenzel, K., Ábrahám, G., Tamás, P., Urbin, Á. (2015). Measurement of distortion using the moiré interferometry. Optics, vol. 4, no. 3-1, 14-17, DOI: 10.11648/j.optics.s.2015040301.14, from http://article.sciencepublishinggroup.com/html/10.11648.j.optics.s.2015040301.14.html, accessed on 2018-03-19.
16. Kurkov, V.M. (1980). Methods of recording systematic aberrations of an aero photograph. Selfcalibration. Izvestiya Vuzov. Geodezy and Aero Photograpy, no. 6, 75-79.
17. Volkov, D.Yu., Gryaznov, N.A., Kovalev, I.A., Sosnov, E.N. (2017). High luminosity objective. Patent on useful model RU No.169945 as оf 07.04.2017.
18. Volkov, D.Yu., Gryaznov, N.A., Kovalev, I.A., Sosnov, E.N. (2017). High luminosity objective. Patent on useful model RU No.169342 as оf 15.03.2017